Heikki set for Turkey GP

Scans clear and no trauma to the brain

Despite suffering a concussion in his 140mph horror smash in Spain on Sunday, McLaren are hopeful Heikki Kovalainen will be cleared to race in Turkey in two weeks' time.

On Lap 22 of the Spanish GP, Kovalainen was sent hurtling into the tyre wall at Turn Nine after his left front tyre disintegrated.

The force of the accident buried Kovalainen in the tyre wall and the Finn's MP4-23 had to be hauled out by marshalls and a tractor before the track's medics could see to his wellbeing.

Kovalainen was immediately taken to the medical centre, following which he was flown to a local hospital where he spent the night under observation.

But having suffered nothing worse than a concussion, McLaren are hoping their Finnish driver will be back in action in time for the next race in Turkey, which takes place on May 11.

"His scans are completely clear. There are no physical damage to him at all and no trauma damage to his brain, he's completely clear," McLaren team boss Ron Dennis said.

"(He is) a little concussed. But not as a result of anything other than the trauma of the accident - there's no damage or bruising or bleeding. So we're quite optimistic about the next race.

"I'm not a doctor so I must qualify what I say - I spoke to our doctor at the hospital and we're quite optimistic that at this very early stage he'll be able to race because there is no damage, bruising or bleeding."

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh added: "Heikki has had a full head scan and, thankfully, there was no bruising. He will have a body scan but at the moment we are hopeful he will be at the next race in Turkey in two weeks."