Championship round-up

Potters promoted, Foxes go down and Baggies champions

Stoke City joined West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League as Leicester City were relegated, and Crystal Palace and Watford completed the play-off line-up.

West Brom won 2-0 at Queens Park Rangers to clinch the Championship title and Stoke also secured promotion after a 0-0 draw at home to Leicester.

A point was all Tony Pulis' side required to guarantee promotion, but Hull City's defeat at Ipswich Town ensured the Potters could breathe easily.

However, the stalemate at the Britannia Stadium was enough to consign Leicester to League One after Southampton won 3-2 at home to Sheffield United.

Sheffield Wednesday, Blackpool and Coventry City all survived on the final day with contrasting results as Crystal Palace and Watford took spots in the top six.

Palace thumped Burnley 5-0 and will now meet Bristol City, while Watford's draw at Blackpool was enough to set up a clash with Hull after Wolves could only win 1-0 at home to Plymouth Argyle.
Blackpool 1 Watford 1

Blackpool will have another season of Championship football to look forward to as Watford hung on for a play-off spot. Blackpool enjoyed a dream start at Bloomfield Road when taking the lead after two minutes through Ben Burgess' half-volley after Stephen McPhee had helped on a corner. McPhee then hit the post for Blackpool in the second half before Watford striker Darius Henderson was sent off on the hour mark for a second yellow card after clattering Kaspars Gorkss. Yet two minutes later, Watford drew level when Tommy Smith's run was left unchecked by the home defence and he fired a shot across Paul Rachubka and into the net.

Bristol City 3 Preston 0

Bristol City returned to form with a resounding victory at home to Preston ahead of their play-off campaign. Lee Trundle and Michael McIndoe combined to have the Robins 2-0 up inside the opening 20 minutes at Ashton Gate. After eight minutes, McIndoe played in a cross for Trundle to convert from close range, and on 16 minutes, the roles were reversed as Gary Johnson's side took command. David Noble ensured City go into the play-offs in buoyant mood after adding a third goal on 51 minutes.

Cardiff 3 Barnsley 0

Cardiff City warmed up for the FA Cup final against Portsmouth with an easy victory over the team they overcame in the semi-finals. Peter Whittingham struck the crossbar for Cardiff before the Welsh side grabbed the lead a minute before half-time when Paul Parry finished confidently from Joe Ledley's pass. Kevin McNaughton made it 2-0 early in the second half before Ledley added the third goal on 63 minutes.

Charlton 4 Coventry 1

Coventry City clung on to their Championship status, despite suffering a heavy defeat in the capital. Charlton were in front after just four minutes at the Valley as Luke Varney latched on to a long pass from Madjid Bougherra and lobbed the ball over Kasper Schmeichel. It was 2-0 on 19 minutes after a flowing move from Charlton was finished off by Andy Gray following a clever flick from Varney. Coventry responded by pulling a goal back within 60 seconds as Michael Mifsud fired home from 20 yards for his first goal in 20 appearances. The Addicks restored their two-goal cushion just three minutes into the second half when Grant Basey capitalised on Coventry keeper Schmeichel's poor punch to score from close range, and with four minutes left Chris Powell - on what was likely to be his final game for the club - turned home a ball into the box.

Crystal Palace 5 Burnley 0

Crystal Palace will head into the play-offs in sparkling form after crushing Burnley 5-0 at home. Palace flew out of the blocks at Selhurst Park and were two goals to the good after 10 minutes. The opener came on eight minutes when Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle was sent off for bringing down Scott Sinclair in the box and Ben Watson tucked away the resulting penalty. Just two minutes later, Palace had scored again when teenager Victor Moses volleyed home. Palace made sure of their play-off spot with a third goal on 37 minutes as Clinton Morrison clipped the ball back for Tom Soares to volley in from close range. The rout continued into the second half as the hosts added a fourth goal on 61 minutes when Sinclair skipped past three challenges before firing home a low shot. And four minutes later, Palace scored a fifth goal when Soares picked out Morrison's run and the striker drilled his shot across Burnley keeper Brian Jensen.

Ipswich 1 Hull 0

Hull City will have to settle for a play-off spot, while Ipswich just missed out on the top six after a hard-fought win at Portman Road. Ipswich could have been in front after just three minutes, but Shefki Kuqi's header from close range, after Pablo Counago's shot had come back off the post, was ruled out for offside. Jim Magilton's side notched the only goal of the game 20 minutes from time when substitute Alan Lee guided a header back across goal and inside the far post.

QPR 0 West Brom 2

West Brom wrapped up the title after overcoming 10-man Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. QPR were reduced to 10 men after 37 minutes when Martin Rowlands was sent off following a two-footed challenge on Jonathan Greening. The Baggies took the lead through half-time substitute Kim Do-heon on 53 minutes when he headed home at the near post following industrious work in the box. West Brom made sure of the points on 77 minutes when Chris Brunt, who scored the decisive equaliser against Southampton on Monday night, smacked a stunning free-kick into the top corner.

Scunthorpe 3 Colchester 3

Relegated duo Scunthorpe United and Colchester United shared a six-goal thriller on the final day of the season. Colchester took the lead on 11 minutes when Kevin McLeod rose well to head home Kevin Lisbie's cross into the box, but Scunthorpe were level four minutes later when Jonathan Forte turned home Matthew Sparrow's cross. A flurry of goals in the second half saw Colchester go 3-1 up after Scott Vernon netted on 47 minutes and McLeod got his second of the game just 60 seconds later. Paul Hayes pulled one back for the Iron midway through the second half and the striker earned his team a point with his second of the match on 82 minutes.

Sheffield Wednesday 4 Norwich 1

Sheffield Wednesday secured their Championship status with an emphatic victory over Norwich on Dion Dublin's final appearance in professional football. The Owls endured a torrid start on home soil when Darren Huckerby's curling shot, on possibly his last appearance for Norwich, flew into the top corner on nine minutes. But Wednesday were level on 23 minutes when Deon Burton converted from the penalty spot after the striker was felled by Darel Russell. On 53 minutes, the home side took the lead when on-loan striker Ben Sahar had a simple tap-in from close range after the Norwich defence failed to clear the danger. Burton made the game safe with his second of the afternoon on 76 minutes and Leon Clarke put the icing on the cake with a goal three minutes from time.

Southampton 3 Sheffield United 2

Southampton survived on the final day of the season after a thrilling victory at home to Sheffield United. The Blades stunned the home crowd on 23 minutes by taking the lead after Billy Sharp's cross was headed home by Stephen Quinn. Saints equalised three minutes before the interval when Marek Saganowski nodded into the net at the far post and Nigel Pearson's side were in front on 53 minutes when Stern John smashed home after a one-two with Saganowski. But the Blades rallied and levelled the game up on 65 minutes when Quinn whipped in a cross for substitute Jon Stead to finish from close range, yet John crucially restored Southampton's lead on 69 minutes. The Trinidad & Tobago striker, though, was sent off on 80 minutes for a second bookable offence after earlier picking up a yellow card for celebrating a goal, but Saints hung on to stay up.

Stoke 0 Leicester 0

Stoke City clinched promotion to the top flight and sent Leicester City down to League One in the process. Stoke had numerous appeals for a penalty waved away before Leicester almost took the lead when Gareth McAuley's header came back off the post. The Foxes could have had a penalty of their own, but referee Mike Dean deemed a foul on Richard Stearman to be just outside the box. Stoke keeper then made a superb save from Iain Hume's deflected shot and Leicester were unable to snatch a winner as the home fans invaded the pitch.

Wolves 1 Plymouth 0

Wolves were denied a play-off berth on goal difference after only managing to score once against Plymouth. Michael Kightly missed a good chance in the first half for Wolves before the game was held up in the second period following an injury to Plymouth's Krisztian Timar. The only goal arrived three minutes from time after Freddy Eastwood played in Seyi Olofinjana for a cool finish.