Kovalainen to race in Turkey

Finn passes FIA medical

Heikki Kovalainen has been given the go-ahead to compete in this weekend's Turkish Grand Prix after passing an FIA medical test at the Istanbul Park circuit on Thursday.

The McLaren Mercedes driver suffered concussion during a 140mph head-on accident in the Spanish Grand Prix two weeks ago and, although Kovalainen had declared his readiness to race, he still had to pass a FIA medical examination.

The test took place at the track on Thursday, following which the FIA announced that he had been declared fit to race.

An FIA statement read: "Following a medical examination this morning by the FIA medical delegate, Professor Jean-Charles Piette, and the chief medical officer of the event, Dr Cem Boneval, Heikki Kovalainen has been cleared to race in the 2008 Turkish Grand Prix."

Looking forward

The 26-year-old is now looking forward to putting Spain behind him and focusing on the rest of the season.

"I am obviously very pleased with the decision by the FIA medical team," the Finn said.

"I arrived here today feeling confident that I would pass the FIA test as I feel 100 percent and if I had not felt 100 percent I would have told the team already and stayed at home.

"My preparation for this weekend has gone well and we have done a lot of fitness training.

"Obviously a big thumbs up for all the FIA safety standards and the guys in Spain who worked hard to get me out of the car safely.

"I think the accident probably looked worse than it was for me. I had a little headache but was back in training almost immediately.

"I now look forward to the rest of the weekend and the rest of the season."

Kovalainen heads to Istanbul sixth in the drivers' standings on 14 points, 15 behind championship leader Kimi Raikkonen.