Mort - Keegan talks productive

Positive indications for boss after 'constructive' talks with Ashley

Newcastle United chairman Chris Mort has revealed that talks between manager Kevin Keegan and owner Mike Ashley were 'productive and constructive'.

Keegan's meeting with Newcastle officials on Friday afternoon followed comments The Magpies boss made admitting his side will not be able to compete with the Premier League's top four for a significant period of time.

Mort and his newly-appointed deputy Derek Llambias, as well as executive director (football) Dennis Wise and vice-president (player recruitment) Tony Jimenez were also at the meeting, which took place at Freshfields.

It was claimed that Keegan's position at St James' Park could be in jeopardy after the comments reportedly did not sit well with Ashley.

However, it is understood the club's hierarchy are looking to the future as Keegan plots for next season.

Mort said: "It was a good meeting. It was both productive and constructive."

Keeagan added: "Part of my job as manager of Newcastle United is to tell fans what's happening at their club.

"Part of the media's job is to report it correctly and keep it in context and not go off on tangents.

"You can take the same phrase three different ways, and it can mean three different things. You know that.

"I will continue to do what I have always done while I have been manager of Newcastle United, and at Manchester City and at Fulham and with England. I haven't changed.

"I am not scared of saying what I think the situation is, and I won't change that."