Brian May has declared that he is part of a "rescue operation" to save digital-only radio station Planet Rock.

A group including the Queen guitarist hopes to stop the station going off air, as scheduled by current owner GCap, at the end of the month.

"I can't tell you who I am 'in league' with, but I am part of a small group of people who have great hopes that we will succeed in taking over the station, and putting it on a firm footing, for the benefit of its growing audience," May wrote on his website.

Planet Rock is broadcast on the internet and the DAB digital radio platform. The future of DAB has been questioned in recent months, some saying that there is a lack of stations wishing to transmit on the platform.

May said: "DAB radio has had a brave start, and can provide freedom from domination by commercially-minded programming, but it might, at this point, slip between the cracks. I believe this cause is worth supporting... and will be doing my best to put my money and expertise where my mouth is! We hope to be able to make an announcement soon."

Planet Rock and another digital-only station, theJazz, in February. Broadcasting of theJazz ceased at the end of March, but Planet Rock was given a reprieve to find a buyer.