Hamilton calls for equality

Brit seeks level playing field for Kovalainen

Lewis Hamilton is more hungry than ever to claim victory on the streets of Monaco on Sunday week, but has urged his McLaren team not to give him preference over team-mate Heikki Kovalainen.

Hamilton finished second to Fernando Alonso 12 months ago but was told by the garage to give up the chase despite the Brit having the pace to give last year's team-mate a run for his money.

The move proved disastrous for McLaren, causing a rift between the duo that would continue right through the season, eventually seeing Alonso return to Renault, the team with which he won the world title.

But although Hamilton wants victory at Monaco like no other grand prix, he insists history must not be allowed to repeat itself.

"Monaco is the dream grand prix to win, the most important race to win personally," said Hamilton.

"If I feel I can win anywhere, it is definitely Monaco. But you have to be in the right place at the right time.

"If I am not winning then I wish he (Kovalainen) was and it is the same feeling vice-versa, so I want it to continue as it is, fair and square. It would not be right for the team to push me ahead of him."

"And it is difficult to know exactly how we will do at Monaco because there are so many differences to Istanbul.

"Ferrari seem to be really quick in the slow corners, and although our performance will be really good, I don't think we will have the dominance we had last year because the teams are much closer.

"It depends if we can put together a better package for that weekend. I think we can, but it will be closer."