Ronaldo wins writers' award

United winger hailed by the press for remarkable season

Cristiano Ronaldo has added the Football Writers' Player of the Year trophy to his growing collection of prestigious awards.

The Manchester United winger was voted by the country's journalists as being this season's best player, collecting his award at a gala dinner in London on Thursday night.

Ronaldo, also named the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year, topped the poll ahead of Liverpool striker Fernando Torres and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.

An outstanding campaign has seen the Portuguese score a remarkable 41 goals in helping United to the title, with the UEFA Champions League final against Chelsea still to come in Moscow next week.

Both his manager Sir Alex Ferguson and Chelsea boss Avram Grant were at the award ceremony at the Royal Lancaster Hotel and worryingly for the latter, Ronaldo vowed not to rest on his laurels, despite being universally acknowledged as the Premier League's finest player.

He said: "I am very happy to win this award. It is very important for me to win again, but most important is the collective awards (of the team).

"I am still going to want to win more, to carry on like this, I will not stop because I have these two awards.

"Next season I will try to do my best again.

"I have improved every season and will try to improve next season.

"I am enjoying my football, and want to carry on."