Redknapp hails 'dream' win

Pompey boss delight at Wembley win

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp described winning the FA Cup as a 'dream come true'.

A solitary first-half strike from Pompey striker Nwankwo Kanu proved enough to earn a 1-0 victory against Championship outfit Cardiff at Wembley on Saturday.

The victory allowed Pompey to record only their second FA Cup triumph following their 1939 success.

And Redknapp, who had failed to make a previous final appearance in over 40 years as a player or manager, admitted his delight after the final whistle.

"It's fantastic feeling," Redknapp - who remains on police bail following his arrest last November as part of an investigation into alleged corruption in transfer deals - told Sky Sports 1. "To win the FA Cup is a dream come true.

"I'm a family man and it is all for my family. I'm just so pleased for them and so pleased for everyone."

"It's been a difficult year in many ways for me but as far as the football is concerned it's fantastic.

"In life, everyone goes through tough times and it's been a difficult few weeks but we got the result today and that's great.

"For me the biggest feeling is one of relief. There are no easy games any more and Cardiff gave us a tough battle.

"But you just have to see it through when the pressure is on just like I've had to go into work every day with a smile on my face. That's my job to make sure everyone's up and not feel sorry for myself."

Redknapp, though, admits it was a nervous finish to the game as Dave Jones' Cardiff side battled in vain to find an equaliser.

"Very agonising," Redknapp continued when asked about the closing stages. "We weren't getting hold of the ball.

"We were 1-0 up, but they were threatening and credit to Dave and his team."

However, Redknapp was delighted to see hero Kanu - who was also the match winner in the semi-finals against West Brom - net Pompey's goal.

"He had a great chance just before, but I'm delighted for the big man," Redknapp added. "He scored in the semis and he has come back and scored again today."

The victory also means that Pompey will participate in next season's Uefa Cup and Redknapp, who has been rumoured to be heading for the Fratton Park exit in the summer, insists he is looking forward to competing in Europe.

"It's fantastic. I'm looking forward to it (the Uefa Cup)," Redknapp concluded.