'King' Kanu revels in success

Match-winner hopes for new deal at Fratton Park

FA Cup hero Nwankwo Kanu has hailed Portsmouth's Wembley victory as the greatest moment of his life.

The Nigerian forward, who has also won the UEFA Champions League with Ajax and the Uefa Cup with Internazionale, scored the only goal of the game on Saturday to sink Cardiff.

But Kanu insists that lifting the cup with Pompey surpasses any previous accomplishment in his career.

"They call me king," Kanu, who also scored Pompey's winner in their semi-final victory over West Brom, told Sky Sports 1.

"I have to deliver and hopefully I did. I have to thank God - God made it possible for me to score.

"This is the best moment of my life. I started the game and I won the cup for Portsmouth. I have felt nothing like this."

Kanu hit the post with an earlier chance, but added: "I kept going, I kept my head down and I scored.

"You have to take your chance and that's what I did.

"Portsmouth is not one of the four big clubs, no-one could believe we were going to do it and we did it."

Kanu, also looks set to remain at Fratton Park for an additional year as he eyes participation in the Uefa Cup.

"I hope the fans, Harry, everyone at the club will remember this day and they are going to give me a contract," Kanu continued.

"I love the supporters and I want to be part of the team that plays in the Uefa Cup.

"That is football, you keep waiting and finally you have to make a decision. I have got a one-year contract ready. I will be here for another year.

"Being in Europe means a lot to the players because most of them haven't been there or won medals."