Carrick out to impress Capello

Midfielder hoping for England recall

Michael Carrick is hoping that a good performance in the UEFA Champions League final could lead to an England recall.

The Manchester United midfielder has not played for his country since the friendly defeat to Germany at the start of the season and has even fallen out of the squad since Fabio Capello took charge.

However, he recognises that Wednesday's clash against Chelsea is the ideal opportunity for him to catch the Italian's eye.

"It frustrates me a little bit," said Carrick, who signed a new four-year deal with United over the weekend.

"I don't know why I am not involved but we've had so much going on here, going for the league and now the Champions League, that England is not something I have thought much about.

"Maybe that will come further down the line. Hopefully if I am playing well enough I will get a chance.

No better place

"There is probably no place better than a Champions League final to showcase what I can do for England.

"If you can do it there, you can do it anywhere. It is up to us, as players, to bring our best games with us."

Carrick has rediscovered his best form since the turn of the year to help United defend their Premier League title and he is now looking for victory in the Moscow showpiece.

He said: "Maybe in recent months I have stepped up with United. I feel that I have progressed all the time I have been here.

"This season has gone well and it has got better and better, hopefully I can finish on a high."