Rooney hopes Tevez stays

United striker wants long-term partnership

Wayne Rooney is confident that Carlos Tevez will commit his long-term future to Manchester United.

The Argentinean forward is currently on a loan deal at Old Trafford, with that agreement set to expire at the end of next season.

The hard-working front-man has enjoyed a successful first year with the Red Devils, forming an immediate understanding with Rooney.

As a result, his team-mate is keen for the partnership to continue for as long as possible and sees no reason why United will not do all they can to ensure that Tevez remains at the club.

"I don't see why that shouldn't happen," said Rooney.

"Carlos enjoys playing his football here.

"He's got his wife and child with him, who don't live too far away from me.

"He's a nice quiet lad who gets on with his job and he's enjoying his life.

"Carlos is a great player and works really hard for the team. I had no doubts at all we could play together," added the England striker.

"From his first day in training with us, you could see the qualities he had.

"I couldn't wait to play alongside him. He's been brilliant, he's a battler, he works so hard for the team - it's been unbelievable."

Rooney and Tevez, along with wing wizard Cristiano Ronaldo, have fired United to a 10th Premier League title and a UEFA Champions League final.

The Red Devils go in search of European glory against Chelsea on Wednesday, and Rooney is well aware that the Blues' striker Didier Drogba has the ability to wreck their double dreams.

"He's big, strong, he scores goals - left foot, right foot, headers - at times he is unplayable," said Rooney.

"Sometimes it seems as if his head's not quite right but when he's at his best he's an unbelievable player.

"I hope it's like a Premier League game, an open game and end to end.

"If Chelsea go one up it is very difficult to get back at them as they are more defensive than us.

"If we go one up, we'd keep trying to get a second goal. That's the main difference between the teams.

"To win the Champions League on the back of winning the league would be a great achievement, we just have to go there to enjoy it."