Terry wants Rio's job

Blues defender vows to win back armband

Chelsea defender John Terry is determined to win back his place in the England side and also the captain's armband.

A number of niggling injuries combined with the impressive form of Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has seen Terry slip off Fabio Capello's radar.

However, Capello is yet to choose a captain for England's upcoming World Cup qualifiers and Terry is hoping to use Wednesday's UEFA Champions League final against United to showcase his current form.

Terry has acknowledged Ferdinand has been different class this term, although that is not stopping the Blues ace's resolve to add to his 43 caps for his country.

"I am disappointed with what has happened," he told The Sun. "I want the armband and my England place back.

"Maybe a performance in this final would go a long way to getting those things back.

"But Rio has been different class this year and particularly since he was made captain against France.

"We have seen a world-class player at the top of his game and, as a centre-half looking on, I would say he has been awesome.

"But I want to get out there and prove I am the right man for the England job."