All quiet on the DC front

Veteran Scot wants to conduct "private negotiations in private"

David Coulthard says he will not announce details of his Formula One future until he has finalised any new contract.

His words come in the wake of those uttered by Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber, who revealed last weekend that he was opening negotiations with the team about a contract extension.

Paddock rumour suggests that Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel will switch to Red Bull next season, leaving Coulthard and Webber to battle it out for the remaining seat.

However, the 37-year-old Scot has said that, unlike his team-mate, he will conduct any negotiations behind closed doors.

"My team-mate Mark Webber told the media over the Istanbul weekend that he has opened talks with Red Bull to extend his contract," Coulthard wrote in his ITV column.

"If I try to rationalise why Mark would say that, I can only presume it was either to stimulate talks with the team or to stimulate interest in the rest of the paddock, reminding people that he's on the market.

"When you think about it logically, you do your private negotiations in private and then when you've reached an agreement you make an announcement. You don't normally say, 'Er, I'm about to enter negotiations...'

"So I would conclude that it was a positioning tactic rather than anything else. As far as my own situation goes, I will keep my own counsel until I have a firm deal to announce."