Hamilton: A long way to go

McLaren racer wary of the elements

Lewis Hamilton believes the wet weather could make or break his chances of securing victory at Monte Carlo on Sunday.

The Englishman posted the quickest time throughout practice on Thursday and has made his intentions clear as he aims to go one better than his second-place finish of a year ago.

In dry conditions, Hamilton did all that was asked of him as he was comfortably fastest by almost 0.4 seconds from the Williams of Nico Rosberg, however with rain forecast for the weekend his efforts could all be in vain.

For Hamilton, it was a thrill to again drive his favourite circuit as he said: "I simply love Monaco and enjoy every single moment I get to spend on the track.

"The car felt great almost immediately, and I was able to show a good pace from the very beginning.

"There is a long way to go, but I enjoy this so much and we will work hard to continue making progress."

Just how much progress is made, though, will depend on the weather because after Friday's traditional rest day, Hamilton can expect very different conditions for Saturday and Sunday.

"It will be especially difficult here in the wet, especially this year without traction control," added Hamilton.

"Pedro de la Rosa (McLaren test driver) made a comment at the last test that it is incredibly difficult to get to full throttle here in the wet.

"And with this circuit being so tight, I think it's going to be a disaster. But despite that, I'm still looking forward to it. It's going to be a challenge."

Trailing Kimi Raikkonen by seven points in the drivers' standings, Hamilton doesn't believe he has to win on this track to keep the pressure on the Finn.

But on the other hand, he knows just how much it would mean to all concerned at McLaren were he to take the chequered flag.

"I don't have to win, but I have to score points, that's the key," said Hamilton.

"Obviously I want to win the race, and although I don't see it as vital we win for the title challenge, for sure it would help."