Capello wants ambitious England

Three Lions chief in call to players

England coach Fabio Capello has set his sights on guiding England to the 2010 World Cup final.

Capello, who took over as England manager from Steve McClaren, is confident he can enjoy success with the national side.

The wily Italian believes England need to be ambitious if they want to achieve success and Capello has called on his players to change their mentality.

Capello told The FA's official website: "I think I can take England further than Bobby Robson in 1990, why not? I have always worked to arrive at the top, why should I think differently?

"I have been with Roma, Juventus, Milan, Real Madrid and always wanted to go to the very top. I don't understand why people feel differently. We need to be ambitious.

"We have good material here and have been competitive against every team. My ambition is to arrive at the top. You have to work to change the mentality.

"I believe we can do that but the players must also believe. By September I will have the full picture."

Capello is keen to see build on the success enjoyed by England's club teams, inspiring the players to bring their domestic form into the international stage

"England had two teams in the Champions League final and they are ambitious teams. You have to transmit the same ambitions in the England team," added Capello.

"When a player puts on the England shirt you have to play with a certain kind of spirit and that is very important. I will play the first eleven who I think are the best players at the moment."