Lewis - My career highlight

McLaren man thanks team after early scare

A jubilant Lewis Hamilton has described his victory in the Monaco Grand Prix as the highlight of his career.

The Briton's victory was a somewhat fortunate one - Hamilton's McLaren Mercedes car hitting the barrier on lap six of the rain-affected race.

Nevertheless, having taken the lead on lap 33, Hamilton subsequently stole a march on his pursuers to build up a lead of 40 seconds.

He was therefore able to make his second pit-stop without losing the lead and, despite losing his advantage after a late Safety Car period, Hamilton took the chequered flag to record his second win of the season.

With World Champion Kimi Raikkonen finishing ninth, the result also sees Hamilton assume a three-point lead in the Drivers' Championship.

A jubilant Hamilton said: "I apologise for hitting the barrier, but we made up for it.

"Now let's go party!

"The pace I had was ridiculous," he continued. "At one point I was one second [a lap] quicker than everybody else - it was quite easy. I was asking the team 'Do I need to go quicker?' and they said it was fine.

"This is the highlight of my career. This will stay with me for a long time...it is the highlight of my life so far.

Of his collision with the barriers, Hamilton added: "I was able to get a good start. I felt comfortable and I knew I had a good car to challenge Felipe [Massa], but then as the rain came down there was so much spray.

"Through Tabac I hit a river of water and slid into the barrier, but fortunately I was able to tell the team and they reacted very quickly.

"They did a great job and without them I wouldn't have won this."