Raikkonen wrecks Sutil's hopes

Young German denied fourth-place finish

Adrian Sutil was in tears after being shunted out of fourth place by World Champion Kimi Raikkonen in the Monaco Grand Prix.

With his Force India team opting for a one-stop strategy, the German had climbed to fourth place by the time Williams driver Nico Rosberg crashed with the leaders on lap 62 of the race.

The Safety Car was brought out, allowing the fifth-placed Raikkonen to close right in on Sutil.

The latter was fending off the Ferrari at the restart when disaster struck as the pair exited the tunnel and braked for the chicane.

Raikkonen lost control of his F2008, crashing heavily into the back of Sutil, resulting in both drivers heading to the pits for repairs.

But, while Raikkonen was able to head back out with a new nosecone, Sutil's car was too badly damaged to continue.

"It's a really a shame, we were really close," Sutil told ITV. "Then Kimi crashed into my rear and destroyed my whole race.

"It was the best race of my whole career and it is really a shame - I can't say any more about it. I am so really disappointed."

Sutil had worked his way up from 18th on the grid and had looked set to score five points for the team - which would have been Force India's first of the season.

"I knew that in the race we had a chance," the 25-year-old added. "I knew from my performance last year that I am really strong here and after the first lap in the race I knew I liked the conditions and I was catching cars.

"I took it easy, just to try not to go off or something then when I got the chance I really pushed. I did fastest laps in the race and it was great, I was really doing good.

"It's just so disappointing that in the last few laps all my work was over."

However, Force India Technical Director Mike Gascoyne bitterly condemned the World Champion's driving.

"Raikkonen always looked like doing stupid and in the end he did," Gascoyne said. "If that was the other way around, and it was a little Force India driver hitting the World Champion, then he would be facing a one or two-race ban.

"We've asked the stewards to take a look and act accordingly."