Massa rues strategy 'mistake'

Polesitter stays out too long on drying track

Felipe Massa was left rueing a strategy error that helped deliver only a third- place finish in the Monaco Grand Prix, despite his starting from pole position.

The Brazilian led the early laps of the race, but then ran off the track in damp conditons to hand the lead to BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica.

Ferrari then decided to change his strategy so Massa ended up running for a long period on intermediate tyres in drying conditions midway through the race.

However, by the time he changed his tyres, Massa was out of contention for victory and he eventually came home third behind Lewis Hamilton and Kubica.

He said: "I had a difficult race. I lost the radio with over 20 laps (left). I couldn't talk and just had to look at the boards, so it was not so easy to know what was going on.

"In the first stint...I was able to put down such a good pace and I knew the strategy was working very well and car was perfect, and suddenly we changed to one stop and put fuel in to the end of race and that was a mistake because the track was getting dry.

"We expected some more rain coming, but it didn't come and then by the time Robert (Kubica) stopped I wanted to stop again, but it was difficult to keep a conversation between the team and me.

"We took too long to change tyres. We made a mistake on the strategy, but it's still good to be on the podium. We know the Championship is long and I am happy with the result."