Massa eyes Montreal

Upbeat assessment from beaten Brazilian

Ferrari ace Felipe Massa is confident the Scuderia will bounce back in Montreal after their disappointing display in Monaco.

The Italian team started the race on the front row of the grid but Brazilian Massa could only manage third, while teammate Kimi Raikkonen was ninth.

With a third of the season completed, it means the Finnish world champion trails race winner Lewis Hamilton by three points in the drivers' standings, with Massa a further point back.

"Saturday was one of the best pole positions of my career, and with a heavy car (on fuel)," said Massa.

"Everything was pointing in the right direction to fight for the victory, and we were fighting because I was very quick at the beginning when it was very wet. I was even pulling away.

"I heard Lewis had a problem, but then everything turned when the track started to dry and we had a lot of problems when we stopped and put a lot of fuel in the car.

"We made a mistake on the strategy as we were waiting for the rain (later in the race), which didn't come.

"It was a little bit of a gamble. Sometimes it works perfectly on this track, sometimes it doesn't work.

"The weather forecast was perfect most of the time, but it wasn't when we really expected it would rain again."

Massa feels Ferrari will be strong in another race that should favour McLaren, the Canadian Grand Prix in 13 days' time.

Hamilton won another incident-filled event a year ago from pole as Ferrari again made mistakes.

But Massa added: "We will be stronger than last year because, in this race, McLaren were not unbeatable.

"We had great pace in both the rain and on the dry, but with all the circumstances we were unable to fight with Hamilton.

"Because I don't think McLaren were unbeatable here, we have the same feelings for Montreal, so the championship is very open.

"We have a good car, a good team, and this race will not change our possibilities to fight over the season."