Fabio has plans for Rooney

Capello says striker 'is too generous' ahead of USA friendly

England manager Fabio Capello believes Wayne Rooney should be 'more selfish' as he looks to fully utilise the Manchester United forward's ability.

Capello is set to deploy Rooney - who has netted just three times in 14 international games - as part of a front two when England host USA at Wembley on Wednesday evening.

Rooney played as a lone striker in Capello's first two games in charge, but the Italian has explained that he will alter his position in a bid to make full use of the 22-year-old's quality.

"When I saw Rooney in Portugal (at Euro 2004), he played very well," said Capello. "He has to play like he did then.

"I feel the same as Sir Alex Ferguson. I have spoken with Rooney maybe three times now. And I've said to him that he is too generous.

More selfish

"He has been trying to do too much. He needs to play in the best position for him. He needs to be more selfish, otherwise he is tired and not fresh.

"It is important to be fresh near the goal. Rooney is very important to us.

"Rooney is a versatile player but his best position is as a central striker, just behind the person who plays up front.

"That way he can play with his face to the goal rather than his back. You need someone more advanced but then the others can move around him.

"His potential is huge but he can do better. He knows he must stay in front of goal more. He knows he must score more goals.

"He has won a lot - but not enough."