Piquet 'extremely disappointed'

Piquet: remaining focused

Rookie contentrating on Canadian GP as pressure mounts

Nelson Piquet Jr. is refusing to let his latest retirement get him down despite rumours that he could be on his way out of Renault.

The Brazilian rookie, who has seen the chequered flag only twice this season and has yet to score points, had hoped for a good showing in the Principality at the weekend.

However, having qualified a lowly 17th on the grid, race day brought yet more woe for the 22-year-old.

As the wet track slowly began to dry out, Piquet joined team-mate Fernando Alonso in becoming one of the first drivers in the field to switch from wet to dry tyres.

But Piquet's lack of experience of driving an F1 car in such conditions mitigated against him when he hit the tyre barrier at the Sainte Devote corner on lap 48.

"I had a difficult weekend and I am extremely disappointed," he admitted.

"The conditions on the track were changing, but we took the risk to switch to dry tyres when the track was still damp and tricky, which is when I went off and damaged the car."

Nevertheless, Piquet is hoping to bounce back at the Canadian Grand Prix, which takes place on June 8th.

"I will not dwell on this and feel sorry for myself," he said. "I must remain focused for the Canadian GP."

Rumours in the Monte Carlo paddock suggested that either GP2 driver Romain Grosjean or even Takuma Sato - on the sidelines since Super Aguri folded - could be in line for Piquet's seat should he fail to improve over the coming races.