Barry seeks O'Neill talks

Villa skipper eager to discuss future next week

Gareth Barry is set to seek further discussions about his future at Aston Villa next week.

The Villa skipper is a £12million-rated target of Liverpool as manager Rafa Benitez attempts to strengthen his squad for a Premier League title tilt next season.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has been angered by Benitez's approach for Barry and, accompanied by club chairman Randy Lerner, has already held one meeting with the 27-year-old in an attempt to convince him to stay in the Midlands.

However, Barry - who was a second half substitute in England's 2-0 victory over USA at Wembley on Wednesday - is eager for further discussions with O'Neill after Sunday's international friendly against Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain.

Big club

"Will I be at Villa next season? That is something I've been speaking to the manager and chairman about. We've already had one meeting," said Barry.

"My idea was to get these two games (USA and Trinidad & Tobago) out of the way and I am sure we will be speaking again soon.

"Any sort of interest by a big club is flattering but I am still an Aston Villa player, I've got two years left of my contract and until some sort of bid is accepted, or the manager tells me otherwise, there is no decision to make.

"No decision has been made because no bid has been accepted."

Meanwhile, Barry insists he was not overly disappointed to miss out on a spot in England manager Fabio Capello's first XI against USA after coming off the bench to set up Steven Gerrard for the second goal.

"You want to start every game," Barry added. "We all know the manager is trying and looking at different things so I am not too upset.

"Hopefully I can go across to Trinidad and play some more minutes over there.

"It was nice to get involved straight away, get involved with the goal, so overall I was not too disappointed with not starting the game."