Sato eyeing F1 return

Japanese star connected with Renault

Takuma Sato has said he is hopeful of a future in Formula One after the demise of Super Aguri.

The popular Japanese driver was left high and dry when the team, which was set up following his release from Honda at the end of the 2005 season, was forced to withdraw from F1 in April due to a lack of funds.

The 31-year-old, who has held talks with Honda's representatives, says he is determined to return to F1, even as a test driver.

"If there is an opportunity I want to race now! " he told

"But I am not that desperate to race at any cost this season. If there is a chance I would like to, but if 2009 is better opportunity I will wait. I would not like to rush out to make a hasty decision.

"I would like a proper opportunity, and if testing is required (for 2009) then I am prepared to test."

Renault rumour

The 31-year-old has been rumoured as a possible replacement for the struggling Nelson Piquet Jr. at Renault.

Nevertheless, Sato said that, at the present stage, there was no truth in the suggestion.

"As a driver I do welcome such rumours," he admitted.

"I think this time last year I was going to replace Ralf (Schumacher) in Toyota. When I am ready I will let you know."