Gerrard wants Barry move

Liverpool captain keen to capture midfield colleague

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is 'desperate' for Gareth Barry to move to Anfield this summer.

Aston Villa skipper Barry is a 12million-rated target of Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez as the Spaniard looks to bolster his squad for a Premier League title tilt next season.

Benitez has already had one 10m bid for Barry, who has two years to run on his Villa contract, turned down by Midlands boss Martin O'Neill.

However, Gerrard - who has a long-standing friendship with Barry since the pair roomed together at Euro 2000 - has urged Benitez to continue his pursuit of the midfielder.

"Gareth Barry is someone who will improve Liverpool," said Gerrard, who is expected to line-up alongside Barry when England face Trinidad & Tobago in Port of Spain on Sunday.

"I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him.

"We can't be disrespectful to Villa. He is still their player and we will see what happens.

"Naturally, they are going to try and keep hold of him, and rightly so because he is one of their star men. He has been a fantastic servant for them over many years.

"But, from a biased point of view, I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player.

"He is a good player. But I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Gareth Barry will certainly make us stronger.

"You talk about improving the team, the starting XI and the squad, and Gareth will certainly help Liverpool to become a better team."

Gerrard, though, accepts it would be a wrench for Barry - who is understood to be keen to sample UEFA Champions League football - to leave Villa after 11 years with the club.

"I am sure Gareth will find it hard to leave Villa," added Gerrard. "He has been fantastic for them but, in football, sometimes opportunities come along where you can better your career.

"I think Gareth is 27 now and he needs to play Champions League football. In my opinion, he needs that now."

Meanwhile, Gerrard is keen for England to build momentum against Trinidad & Tabago telling Sky Sports News: "It is all about taking steps to become a better team. We are not going to become World Cup winners over night."