Owen out to break records

Striker wants to make history

Owen: Ambitious

Michael Owen is targeting 100 caps for his country, and Bobby Charlton's goal scoring record.

Owen has represented England on 89 occasions, while he has been on target 40 times, putting him nine behind Charlton.

He has been a regular fixture in the national side for the last 10 years, but despite being one of the elder statesmen of the side his ambition burns as bright as ever.

The Newcastle striker was forced to sit out Wednesday's friendly against USA with a virus, and will once again be missing for Sunday's trip to Trinidad and Tobago.

However, on his return to full fitness he will be doing all he can to become a goal scoring legend and English centurion.

"On a personal note, they are the two main targets I am aiming for at the moment. Whether they are unrealistic or not, only time will tell," he said.

"But it's nice to be in a position to chase two great dreams like that. I'd be a very proud man if I could reach either of them, let alone both.

"Of course, to get to 100 caps for my country like David Beckham recently achieved would be the icing on the cake. That would be fantastic. I'm on 89 now."

Owen continued: "As for Bobby Charlton's record, I suppose it's been in my sights for a while.

"When I was 25-26, I was into the 20s goal-wise so you think it's a possibility right from the outset because I got into the England team so early in my career.

"You always hope that fantastic records like that come your way. It's a long way off but if I'm out on the pitch, I'm always confident of taking any chance that comes up and banging in the odd goal or two."

The 28-year-old has struggled to make an impact on the international scene since Fabio Capello took charge in January, and the striker knows that he must prove himself all over again.

"Time is certainly on my side," he said.

"It's just whether you stay fit and then - if you are fit - whether you play well enough to be in the team. They are the only things that can stop you really.

"But it's always hard to predict the future. These records are just dreams at the moment but staying fit and being in good form are the two ingredients that will help me realise them."