Becks could captain England

LA Galaxy midfielder set to take the armband once more

David Beckham is among the contenders to skipper England against Trinidad and Tobago.

The LA Galaxy star relinquished the armband following England's exit at the quarter-final stage of the 2006 World Cup.

However, with Fabio Capello set to continue with his policy of rotating the captaincy, Beckham could find himself leading his country once again.

Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard and John Terry have all held the honour in the Italian's first three games in charge, while Gareth Barry and David James are also believed to be in the running for the job on Sunday evening in Port of Spain.

Beckham would undoubtedly be a popular choice, and the midfielder admits that he would be honoured to take the role.

"Everyone knows it is one of the biggest honours you can be given as football player to captain your country, or even to play for your country," Beckham told Sky Sports News.

"I was lucky enough to do it for so many games and so many years and of course I would be honoured to captain the country again but there are other good players that can do that as well."

Manchester United defender Ferdinand is among the favourites to be handed the captaincy on a full-time basis once the 2010 World Cup qualifiers get under way in September, but the centre-half accepts that he is one of a number of suitable candidates.

"Anyone you ask would like to captain their country, there's three, four or five of us here that are in contention and I'm just one of them," he told Sky Sports News.

"But we all want to be captain of our country, it's a fantastic honour to be given the responsibility to lead your team out at Wembley at all over the world, is a fantastic achievement.

"But I've said it many times, we need 11 captains out there on the pitch when we play.

"The guy who is given the responsibility to do it full-time, it will be a fantastic thing to do, and I'm sure the lads will be behind that person and hopefully he can lead us to great things."