Fergie - We want Ron stay

Glazer family angered by Real's advances

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists the Glazer family share the club's determination to keep hold of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Real Madrid have angered United by their open admiration of Ronaldo, who scored 42 goals in all competitions last season, and some reports claim that the Spanish giants are close to agreeing a record-breaking deal.

However, Ferguson has warned Ronaldo that United's owners the Glazer family would rather drop Ronaldo - who has four years to run on his Old Trafford contract - than allow the Portuguese winger to join Real.

"I've had a couple of meetings with the Glazers," Ferguson - who paid Sporting £12million for Ronaldo in 2003 - said.

"Their attitude is, 'to hell with them'. They'd sit a player in the stand, I'm telling you, absolutely no doubt about it, just to prove a point. Not to give in to these people.

"They've got balls, I can tell you. I've been delighted with them in that respect."

The Glazers took control at United in 2005 in an £800m deal and their arrival caused huge unrest among followers of the Red Devils

However, Ferguson is adamant that the Americans have been fantastic since taking over at Old Trafford.

"They've been good to this club, believe me," Ferguson added. "They have been brilliant owners."