Barry hails 'fantastic' finale

Second half skipper delighted with 2007/08 campaign

Gareth Barry confesses marking his first game as England captain with a goal will be a day he never forgets.

Aston Villa midfielder Barry rounded off an impressive season with England's first goal in Sunday's 3-0 away victory over Trinidad & Tobago.

The 12th minute volley saw Barry open his account at full international level and the night continued to be one of firsts as the Villa skipper was handed his country's armband in the second half.

And Barry, who has now tallied 20 England caps, has admitted his delight at becoming an international regular in the 2007/08 campaign following a spell on the sidelines.

"It is a fantastic way to end the season for myself," Barry told Sky Sports News. "To get my first international goal and then to lead my country out was a fantastic day all round and a day I won't forget.

"It was well publicised I was out in the wilderness for three or four years, but to feature in every game this year and to let everyone know I can play at this level was big for me.

"When appearances build up, it is finally nice to get on the scoresheet and once one goes in, hopefully two or three can roll in after."

The success in Port of Spain saw England round of their season with a pair of victories following Wednesday's win over USA at Wembley and Barry believes the extended get-together will benefit the squad.

Since taking over in January, manager Fabio Capello has taken charge of England for victories over Switzerland, USA and Trinidad & Tobago and a defeat to France and Barry believes the squad now have an understanding of the Italian's methods.

"It was important for the staff and the players to get to know each other," Barry added. "We know how he works now and we look forward to the games next season.

"From that first game against Switzerland it was all about taking steps forward and from the four games we have had, the manager feels we are moving in the right direction."