Becks shock at armband

LA star delighted to be skipper again

David Beckham admits he never thought he would captain England again after leading them to a 3-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago.

Beckham was handed the captain's armband by Fabio Capello - who continues to rotate the armband around his squad.

Beckham followed Rio Ferdinand, Steven Gerrard and John Terry in leading their country since Capello took charge - but the Los Angeles Galaxy ace was over the moon to regain the honour.

After the World Cup in Germany in 2006, Beckham gave up the captaincy and he did not think he would get the honour again.

"It was a huge surprise," Beckham told Sky Sports News.

"I have always said I would be honoured to lead out my country and play for my country and as much as you hope was a surprise and an honour.

"I honestly never felt I would wear the armband again, but as I said I was honoured back then and I am just as honoured now."

Good display

Beckham feels England can take a lot from their win in Port of Spain which came courtesy of goals from Gareth Barry - who took the armband in the second half - and Jermain Defoe.

"I think we started off really well for 25 minutes and played some really good football," he said.

"We put pressure on them and closed them down.

"We wanted use to take it seriously and treat it like a qualifying game and I think we did that for 25 to 30 minutes, but then of course the heat and the long season some of the lads have had kicks in, but we performed well scored some good goals and created some good opportunities.

"It was important for us to come here and play well, defend and attack well and so overall we are happy.

"As everyone is finding out, unless you treat it as an important match this manager won't be happy and he wants us to treat every match as seriously as possible and that is how we have to treat these games."

Beckham insists that England have already moved forward under Capello.

"The France game was okay even though we lost it, and the game at Wembley [against USA] the over night, he was quite pleased and he thought we had stepped forward and each time we play he wants to see us improve."

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United star is now heading back to America for the MLS season, which has only just kicked off whilst the rest of the England squad head home for their holidays.

"A couple of them have joked about but I said I would give them a call at Christmas," he joked.

"But you know they deserve it a lot of them have had a long season and they will go with their families and have their holidays and I wish them all the best, but it is back to the MLS for me."