Heidfeld hopes to qualify better

German looking to match team-mate's single-lap pace

Nick Heidfeld is hoping for a change in fortunes at next weekend's Canadian Grand Prix, starting with a strong showing in Saturday's qualifying session.

The BMW Sauber driver has yet to impress over one lap this season, coming up short in comparison with team-mate Robert Kubica in each of the six races already run.

However, Heidfeld says he has been working with his engineers since the last race in Monaco in a bid to learn how to bring his tyres up to temperature faster.

And should he manage do that in Montreal, the German is hoping he can follow up a strong qualifying performance with an even better race result.

Twelve months ago, Heidfeld finished second behind Lewis Hamilton at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - his result overshadowed by the huge accident suffered by Kubica during the race.

"Last year's Canadian Grand Prix was a very special race for me. We put in a very strong showing in 2007," Heidfeld said.

"I came third in qualifying and finished second in the race on my own merit. Initially that result was obviously overshadowed by Robert's accident. Only when we knew he was okay were we able to celebrate.

"Of course I'm very much hoping I'll do well in qualifying this time. I'm working with the engineers to get the tyres back fast enough into the temperature zone where they really build up grip."

Of the weekend itself, Heidfeld added: "At any rate, the Montreal race is one of my favourites. I love the city, the atmosphere and the race track.

"It's a very fast course and features mainly chicanes and straights. We drive with relatively low downforce and the brakes come in for a great deal of punishment."