Gabulov adds to Russia worries

Russia have a fresh injury concern after goalkeeper Vladimir Gabulov limped out of training on Tuesday night but there is hope that striker Pavel Pogrebnyak may be fit for UEFA EURO 2008 after all.

'Painful knock'
Igor Akinfeev's understudy Gabulov, who is set to join FC Dinamo Moskva after the finals, was unable to continue practicing after a collision with new club-mate Denis Kolodin. Team doctor Andrei Grishanov said: "He sustained a very painful knock to his thigh. We do not think it is anything serious but we will be able to say for sure on Wednesday." Kolodin added: "It was a normal challenge and unfortunately I hit him with my knee. I pray there is nothing serious with Volodya." Striker Roman Adamov and winger Vladimir Bystrov also sustained minor knocks ahead of Wednesday night's friendly against Lithuania in Burghausen, Germany.

Pogrebnyak hope
Guus Hiddink's side will then focus on their Group D opener against Spain in Innsbruck on 10 June, with their biggest concern still Pogrebnyak, who hurt his knee during last Wednesday's 2-1 friendly defeat of Serbia. The 24-year-old FC Zenit St. Petersburg forward has underdone a scan for cartilage damage, Grishanov revealed: "There is no need for urgent surgery. He will wear a special protective brace to strengthen his muscles and tendons. I would assess his chances of appearing at EURO as 50-50." Hiddink said on Tuesday that Pogrebnyak will remain in the squad and no cover will be called up.