Digital One founding CEO steps down

The founder and chief executive of Digital One, the national DAB multiplex, will step down at the end of June.

Quentin Howard led the formation of the company, which runs the world's first commercial DAB multiplex, and has played a key role in developing the technology internationally.

DAB has faced significant commercial challenges during the past six months, with GCap planning to reduce its investment, and questions over whether it is the right platform for digital radio in the UK.

Howard acknowledged change was on its way and referred to the 4 Digital national digital multiplex, which was intended to launch this year.

"I think there is obviously a lot of change on the horizon for digital radio at the moment, what with Global taking over GCap and plans for Digital One that may or may not involve Channel 4's multiplex," he said.

"Clearly, there is going to be a very different approach to digital radio and I think it's the right time for me to let other people get on with it."

Howard will remain president of WorldDMB, which oversees the DAB and DMB technologies internationally.