DC 'delighted' with podium

Scot welcomes podium number 67 after "horrible start" to season

David Coulthard was delighted after opening his season's account with a podium finish in the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver profited from a typically fraught Montreal race, which saw the safety car deployed on lap 18 while marshals recovered Adrian Sutil's Force India car from a dangerous position.

The Scot was further assisted two laps later when a pit lane accident involving Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Nico Rosberg saw the field thrown into disarray.

Coulthard remained out on track while others pitted and it was Red Bull's decision to one-stop the 37-year-old that ultimately paid dividends.

"I am delighted because I never expected to get a podium this weekend," said Coulthard, who led lap 36 of the race prior to pitting.

"I had a horrible start to the year. It's a real credit to Red Bull Racing for the efforts they are putting in.

"It is my 62nd podium and I'm delighted to be there today as in 1994. Canada was where I scored my first points so I'm in a reflective mood as 15 seasons is a long time, especially after such an ugly start to the season."

Hard work

Coulthard also said he had a tough afternoon's work at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, with both the track's deteriorating surface and brake problems hampering his progress.

"You cannot believe how difficult it is. I just had to bring the car home. Funny enough the car stopped in the pitlane so I'm glad it did it after chequered flag," he added.