France coach Raymond Domenech insists Romania can be as big a threat as Italy and Holland in Euro 2008's so-called "Group of Death".

Domenech's side take on Romania in Group C on Monday in Zurich and said: "They're a solid team and are very capable of hurting opponents.

"Romania finished above the Netherlands in qualifying so I see no reason why we should now say they are weaker.

"We're not arriving with our hands in our pockets thinking we'll win easily."

France lost to Italy in the 2006 World Cup final, while Romania topped their Euro 2008 qualifying group ahead of the Netherlands.

"I think they play a lot like Italy," said the Domenech. "They are skilful, well-organised and disciplined - so they have a similar profile.

"I'm worried about everything and anything, as you are before any big match. I think all three of our opponents inspire doubt in our players. 606: DEBATE
Who will escape the Group of Death?

"There are doubts, because the group is not easy."

Lilian Thuram, who will captain Les Bleus in the absence of the injured Patrick Vieira, believes Romanian's Fiorentina forward Adrian Mutu is the player his team-mates have to watch out for.

"I have played with Mutu at Juventus," said the veteran centre-back.

"He is outstanding - and when it comes to set-pieces, he is one of the best players around.

"He has made a difference for both Fiorentina and Parma - and from what I saw of him at Juventus, I know how dangerous a player he can be."

Arsenal defender William Gallas believes a solid defence is the key to France's hopes of winning the tournament, which they last did in 2000.

"It's vital there's more communication in the defence, and also that the whole team defends together," said Gallas.