Alonso - Next two races crucial
Renault's season depends on upcoming upgrades
Fernando Alonso has said that Renault should abandon development of this year's car if upgrades planned for the next two races fail to provide sufficient improvement.
After rejoining the Regie from McLaren Mercedes, the double World Champion has endured a difficult season so far, with Alonso's fourth place at the Australian Grand Prix proving a high point in terms of points earned.
The Spaniard has since taken only four more points from six races, although improvements to the R28 prior to his home race did help yield a front row grid slot at the Circuit de Catalunya.
With rookie team-mate Nelson Piquet Jr. yet to score a point, Renault are currently languishing in a lowly seventh place in the Constructors' Championship behind Red Bull, Toyota and Williams.
And, unless the team show signs of improvement at the next two grands prix in France and Britain, Alonso believes their focus should turn towards next year.
"It's a difficult decision, no doubt, which has to be made sooner or later," he said.
"I know it's difficult, and I have a strong opinion about it, but after Silverstone you have to think about it.
"We have a couple of developments coming for Magny-Cours and Silverstone, so let's wait and see what these do to the car.
"Maybe at those tracks it will be good, so we can carry on developing this car.
"If it's not good, maybe the season will already be over so it's time to think about next year."
Nevertheless Alonso, who qualified fourth at Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix only to spin off on lap 45 of the race, is hopeful that the upcoming changes will make a difference.
"A small step in every area can make a huge gain," he added.
"I'm sure we can go up in performance, and hopefully that will put us in the points for the championship."