Hamilton moves on

French Grand Prix penalty is "silly", says Brit

Lewis Hamilton is refusing to be downcast following his Canadian Grand Prix mishap, the bullish Briton saying that, had he not crashed, he would have "destroyed" the rest of the field in Montreal.

Starting from pole position, Hamilton pulled out a six-second lead during the opening stages of the race before pitting under a safety car at the end of lap 19.

But his race came to a catastrophic end following the stop when his McLaren Mercedes hit the Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen in the pitlane.

However, despite his obvious blame for the incident - one which Raikkonen said was "stupid" - Hamilton claimed he had already moved on and was looking forward to the French Grand Prix on June 22nd.

"This will make no difference. It hasn't knocked me confidence-wise, I'm not gutted or disappointed," he said.

"It is not going to take me a day to recover or anything. I'll be up first thing training and really looking forward to Magny-Cours.

"Going forward, the mood is strong. The fact is we destroyed everyone at the weekend. With the car we have right now there is no stopping us."

Speaking of the 10-place penalty Hamilton incurred for crashing into the back of the stationary Raikkonen as the World Champion queued for a red light at the end of the pit lane, the Briton opined that "the rule is silly.

"We are in the race - how can you see a red light at the end of the pit lane? But that's the rule and I accept it.

"I start ten places back in the next race. It's a bit harsh really. I didn't aim to ruin anyone's race."

One person who firmly believes Hamilton can bounce back from his Canadian disappointment is McLaren team doctor Aki Hintsa, who said he had evidence that the incident had not fazed the driver.

The Finn explained: "We can measure the mental stress levels in the drivers as well as fatigue.

"Lewis has improved physically and mentally since the start of the season. His statistics are very impressive and from those I can tell you this will not affect him one little bit."