Turkey v Czech Republic preview

Czechs likely to be unchanged, three alterations for Turkey

Topal: Likely to start

An historic penalty shoot-out could decide who progresses as runners-up from Group A when Turkey take on Czech Republic on Sunday.

New rules introduced by Uefa mean that if the two sides should draw their game at the Stade de Geneve the game will be decided on spot-kicks.

Turkey coach Fatih Terim revealed his side have not practised penalties, but insists his men are confident of winning in normal time.

"We have not practised for penalty kicks," said Terim. "We want to have done enough to win this game over 90 minutes, but if the occasion arises, my players will do what they have to do."

Czech captain Tomas Ujfalusi is also confident his side will prevail over 90 minutes, but insists they must play to their best.

Unchanged Czechs

"We are not worried about the penalties but we intend to win the game before that happens," said Ujfalusi.

"All we have to make sure we do is improve in defence, the defence needs to be perfect."

Czech coach Karel Bruckner is unlikely to change the side that lost last time out to Portugal and will stick with Milan Baros despite his recent lack of goals.

The coach, who is set to retire after this summer's tournament, refused to be drawn on whether he thought the shoot-out idea was fair or not.

Bruckner said: "It's an all or nothing match and we have to improve both defensively and in attack, and I think we will.

"I don't know if penalties are fair or not, but they are the rules now and we will play to them. Penalties are the last resort but don't worry, we have five players who can step up and take them."

Topal in

Terim is planning on making three changes to the side that started against Switzerland last time out and confirmed Turkey will still be without captain Emre Belozoglu after he picked up a hamstring injury in training.

Midfielder Mehmet Topal will replace injured Tumer Metin while Emre Gungor will start in central defence alongside Servet Cetin.

Semih Senturk, who scored the equaliser in Turkey's 2-1 win over co-hosts Switzerland on Wednesday, will partner Nihat Kahveci in a two-pronged attack.

History of fixtures between the two sides favours the Czechs, who have won three of the four meetings between the sides, but Terim believes records are made to be broken.

"I have checked the statistics and generally the Czechs have always been more successful than us in meetings," added Terim.

"We know the Czechs are very good on penalties, but perhaps the time has come for their luck to change."