Kimi lusting after success

World Champion looking for a repeat of 2007 French GP

Having lost his World Championship lead following poor results in the last two grands prix, Kimi Raikkonen wants to satisfy his "great lust for winning" this weekend in France.

After wins in Malaysia and Spain earlier in the season, it all started to go wrong for the defending World Champion last month in Monaco, where Raikkonen could only manage ninth place after crashing his Ferrari into the back of Adrian Sutil's Force India.

Matters then took another turn for the worse nine days ago in Canada when Lewis Hamilton drove his McLaren Mercedes straight into the back of Raikkonen's car in the pit lane, forcing both to retire on the spot.

The cumulative effect of the two accidents has turned the seven-point advantage Raikkonen enjoyed ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix into a seven-point deficit to new Championship leader Robert Kubica.

And the Finn is now desperate to regain momentum at this weekend's French Grand Prix, with Raikkonen admitting: "I don't remember when I had such a great lust for winning.

"The team had prepared a car, which was able to be strong on all the tracks, but it didn't go well during the last races.

"I don't like looking back and thinking about what happened at the last race.

"I don't carry bad thoughts with me because that would just make me lose time, and you can't change the result anyway.

"It's much better to concentrate on the upcoming GP and try to get the best result possible."

Raikkonen endured a similar downturn in fortunes 12 months ago before fighting back with victory at Magny-Cours.

"I think things will look really different at Magny-Cours compared to the last GPs," he continued.

"It was in France last year my season practically started all over again, and this is what I need now after two races with no points.

"I like the track and I think it's perfect for our car, so I think we'll be competitive and we can go for the maximum result."

After breathing new life into his 2007 season last summer, Raikkonen went on to claim the World Championship by a single point.

And, with Kubica, Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa and Hamilton all vying with him for this year's title, Raikkonen knows all too well that every point will once again count.

"All the races are important, and one point can make all the difference like in 2007," he said.

"This year, the championship is just as equally balanced, and that is the reason why you always need to bring home something."

Raikkonen is also refusing to rule Hamilton out of Sunday's race, despite the 10-place grid penalty the latter incurred for his crash in Montreal.

"Hamilton will start further back due to the penalty, but you should never underestimate McLaren," he added.

"So we have to give our best to keep them behind."