Ronaldo drops quit hint

Red Devils ace hoping for 'dream step forward' this summer

Cristiano Ronaldo has has given his biggest indication yet that he could quit Manchester United for Real Madrid this summer.

Speculation over the Portugal international's future has been rife following the Red Devils' UEFA Champions League final success over Chelsea in May.

Real Madrid have gone public with their desire to bring the former Sporting ace to the Bernabeu, a move that has angered Sir Alex Ferguson.

Ronaldo has often kept his cards close to his chest in terms of his desires and wishes, but following Portugal's exit from Euro 2008 he has now been more forthcoming.

Although the 23-year-old has stopped short of confirming his desire to join Real Madrid this summer, he has indicated he wants to make a 'dream step forward' in his career.

The move could now prompt Real to step up their interest in Ronaldo after previously stating they would only formulate a bid once he reveals his interest in joining the Liga giants.

When asked if he thinks his dream will come true, he told Sky Sports' "I really hope so, lets see.

"It is a dream, a step forward, you can call it what you want. For me it is a great opportunity, and as Scolari says, that train passes by only once, and we have to take advantage of it.

"You will soon know what I want. You do know what I want and that is why I don't want to say anything else. Let's wait. I want to give more details that is why I cannot say much more."

Ronaldo, who did confirm he decided his future prior to United's Champions League success in Moscow, has stated he does not mind upsetting fans and Ferguson in order to get what he wants.

"It is my opinion, that is why I don't mind if people get upset. It is my decision. It is what I want," he concluded.

Following Portugal's Euro 2008 exit, Cristiano Ronaldo said he expects to make an announcement over his future in 'two or three days'.

"I will speak to Manchester United. I will try to reach an agreement and we will see," he added.

Ronaldo also revealed he has been carrying a foot injury for the past three months.

He added: "I'm going to have an operation now. I have had a small problem for about three months, in my foot.

"I'll have the operation and then have a good recovery period."