United - Ronaldo not for sale

Old Trafford club are not listening to offers

Manchester United have again insisted that Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo is not for sale.

The future of the gifted young winger has dominated the headlines all summer, with Real Madrid eager to secure his services.

Ronaldo gave the clearest indication yet that he is looking to leave Old Trafford in the wake of Portugal's elimination from Euro 2008.

He told Sky Sports' guillembalague.com: "It is a dream, a step forward, you can call it what you want. For me it is a great opportunity, and as (Luiz Felipe) Scolari says, that train passes by only once, and we have to take advantage of it.

"You will soon know what I want. You do know what I want and that is why I don't want to say anything else. Let's wait. I want to give more details that is why I cannot say much more."

Not for sale

But a blunt statement on United's official website read: "Further to Friday's press speculation about where Cristiano Ronaldo's future lies, the club has moved to reiterate its stance on the matter: United are not listening to offers.

"Ronaldo has continually been linked with a move to Spanish side Real Madrid this summer.

"But the club reaffirmed to ManUtd.com on Friday morning that the 23-year-old United star is "not for sale"."