Turkish delight in shoot-out

Rustu mobbed by team-mates

Underdogs prevail 3-1 on penalties after dramatic end to quarter-final

Turkey set up a meeting with Germany in the Euro 2008 semi-finals after beating Croatia on penalties after an extraordinary climax to the last-eight showdown in Vienna.

Rustu Recber saved Mladen Petric's spot-kick in the shoot-out, after Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic had already missed, to send Turkey into the last four of the European Championship for the first time.

Croatia enjoyed the better chances during normal time and should have taken the lead in the first half when Ivica Olic hit the crossbar from close range following excellent work by Modric.

Towards the end of the second half, Turkey keeper Rustu produced a flying one-handed save to turn away Darijo Srna's free-kick.

Turkey created little at the opposite end, with Mehmet Topal shaving the post with a long-range drive and Tuncay Sanli flashing a 25-yard drive narrowly wide.

With a minute to go, Modric beat Rustu to a loose ball on the by-line and clipped in a cross which substitute Ivan Klasnic headed home as the Turkey keeper scrambled back.

But in stoppage-time, Rustu's huge punt downfield fell kindly at the feet of Semih Senturk just inside the box and he smashed a fierce drive into the top corner via a slight deflection.

Tottenham-bound Modric missed the first penalty and, after Turkey converted all three of their spot-kicks, Petric's attempt was parried away by Rustu to book a semi-final date with Germany next Wednesday.

Early danger

Turkey had reached the last eight with back-to-back comebacks, against Switzerland then famously against the Czech Republic - and they looked in danger of falling behind early to Bilic's men.

Fatih Terim's side were hit by injuries and suspensions, and Croatia almost took advantage of unfamiliarity in the Turkish defence early on.

Veteran goalkeeper Rustu, deputising for the banned Volkan Demirel, failed to clear his lines and Rakitic raced down the left to cross for Srna - only for Hakan Balta to scramble clear when an open goal beckoned.

Modric crossed to the far post in the 19th minute, with Olic thudding the crossbar when he had most of Rustu's goal to aim for. The finish span to Niko Kranjcar but the Portsmouth midfielder could not tame the ball with his head.

Tuncay Sanli earned a yellow card and a one-match suspension for elbowing Niko Kovac, while he appealed for a penalty after Josip Simunic appeared to impede him in the area.

Turkey got even closer to Stipe Pletikosa's goal when Mehmet grazed the post with a powerful 35-yard drive seven minutes before the break.

Penalty drama

After the restart Arda joined Tuncay in the referee's book, also earning him a ban.

Croatia almost pounced on Rustu's hesitancy early in the second half when he failed to collect a long ball, but Olic was unable to get power on his header.

Rustu was down sharply, however, when Modric released Kranjcar and the midfielder poked towards goal.

Srna's free-kick was tipped over by Rustu and when the veteran blocked another effort from Olic, extra-time was inevitable.

Klasnic thought he had won it when he headed in Modric's cross after more Rustu hesitation in the 119th minute, but when Semih found the top corner with a deflected drive, the drama of penalties unfolded.