Lewis apologises for errors

McLaren man admits he "didn't do a great job at all"

Lewis Hamilton has apologised to McLaren Mercedes after admitting to making mistakes during qualifying for the French Grand Prix.

The Briton set the third fastest time in Saturday's qualifying session at Magny-Cours, crossing the line 0.244s slower than pole-sitter Kimi Raikkonen.

Raikkonen's Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa was second quickest.

However, given that Hamilton incurred a ten-place penalty after he collided with Raikkonen in the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks ago, he will now start Sunday's race from 13th on the grid.

A precedent exists for Hamilton, with Raikkonen finishing second for McLaren in the 2005 French Grand Prix after also starting 13th.

"He (Raikkonen) has shown that you can do it," Hamilton said. "It was quite a disappointing qualifying for us and for me.

"I have to apologise to the team because I didn't do a great job at all. On my first and second lap I made the same mistake on the exit of Turn 7.

"I went wide and for sure lost three tenths. But that is life, I was pushing and trying to get the best out of the car.

"I believe I did in most areas apart from that one. But we missed out and we will push hard tomorrow."

He added: "The penalty doesn't help, but you know entering the weekend you're coming here to win and you're feeling confident and comfortable but you automatically have a ten-place penalty.

"Rules are rules I guess and we'll just do the best job we can, learn from it and make sure we don't do it again."