Vettel to replace Coulthard

German handed the task for filling the gap left by British ace

Sebastian Vettel is set to take a step up the F1 grid next season when the German replaces David Coulthard at Red Bull Racing.
The team ended speculation regarding the German's future when they announced on Thursday that he had been signed as Coulthard's replacement.

The Scot announced two weeks ago that he would be retiring from F1 at the end of the season, paving the way for the much-lauded Vettel to take the step up from Red Bull's junior team Toro Rosso, for whom he has excelled.

"I am very proud to be joining Red Bull Racing and it's always good to have an early decision on what you are doing next year," Vettel said.
"As a driver your target is always to be with the most competitive team possible and, over the past couple of years, Red Bull Racing has proved it has great potential, so this is a good move for me. I have been part of the Red Bull family for a long time and with its Junior Team since 2000.
"Throughout my career, they have offered me great support and now, to drive for their senior F1 team is a dream come true and I am looking forward to having a great season next year, even if I still have a lot to learn about F1.


"Apart from Red Bull, I must also say a big thank you to Scuderia Toro Rosso, where I feel very much at home. They have been my "family" for over a year and I would like to thank Franz (Tost) and Gerhard (Berger) for the opportunity they gave me and thank the entire team for all their efforts.
"Having got this announcement out of the way, I can concentrate on racing for Toro Rosso over the second half of the season. I will try and repay them by doing my very best to get some more good results, to add to those we have achieved so far."

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has welcomed Vettel to the team, saying that even though, as a Toro Rosso driver, he was the logical choice to replace Coulthard, it was the German's performances this season that earned him the honour.

"We are delighted that Sebastian will be joining us next year," he said.
"With David Coulthard announcing his retirement as a Formula 1 driver a fortnight ago at the British Grand Prix, after careful consideration, it seemed natural to announce his replacement here at Sebastian's home race in Hockenheim."