Thread: Taylor takes Matchplay title

Wink Taylor takes Matchplay title

Taylor takes Matchplay title

Ninth World Matchplay title for all-powerful Taylor in Blackpool.

Taylor: Awesome arrows

Phil Taylor blazed his way to a ninth World Matchplay title with an awesome display of arrows just too good for defending champion James Wade as he ran out an 18-9 winner.
    Taylor claimed his ninth Blackpool title with a record average in major finals of an almost insane 109.47, and a win that brought him to tears after the victory.
    Wade had looked to offer Taylor his biggest test of a comfortable week in Blackpool, and that's exactly what he did in the early exchanges.
    'The Machine' managed to join Taylor in achieving averages and scoring power that only the man from Stoke has previously seemed able of.
    However, when it got down to the crucial moment Wade's doubles deserted him and, when Taylor moved into his own top gear, Wade fell just short.

The first four legs went against the throw but Wade managed to stop that trend and hold his throw to take a 3-2 lead at the first break.
    With the Winter Gardens rocking as the quality of arrows hit dream-like status, Taylor and Wade traded legs with only an average of over 110 being good enough to take it.

Left-hander Wade moved into a 7-4 lead, but that was reduced to 8-7 just before 'The Power' surged and went on to claim the next nine legs on the trot to lead 16-8.
    Both men were on for nine-darters in the next after two 180s each, but both failed to hit 141 and it was Wade who finally got back on the board.
    That was his last shout though and Taylor sealed victory with an incredible 132 finish, which culminated in his moving four feet to his right before sending his dart zeroing in on a crowded centre to nail the bullseye.

"I'm lost for words," said an emotional Taylor. "It means so much for me to win this title back.
    "I've never been prouder of winning a tournament in my entire career than now.
    "At the end of last year when I lost in the first round of the World Grand Prix in Ireland, I sat back stage and thought that my career was over.
    "But I've worked so hard and this is a reflection of that."
    It was a third consecutive Blackpool final for Wade, two of which he has now lost against Taylor in the Winter Gardens.
    The left-hander admitted he again fell short of matching the great man, but vowed to fight to regain the title next year.

"I started well but lost the plot halfway through and Phil was just superb," Wade admitted.
    "He fully deserved the title but hopefully one day I'll punish him for this.
    "I'm proud to have reached three successive finals in the World Matchplay, but I'll do my best to get to the final next year and win it back."

Re: Taylor takes Matchplay title

yes, watched it, and thoroughly enjoyed,best final iv seen for years,.