Sunday October 05-10-2008

Latest Transfer Stories:

######################### #####

Bobo could still be a Blue

Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish is set to have another go at signing Bobo Balde on a free transfer in January.
The Blues boss knows all about the qualities of the Celtic central defender from his time as Rangers boss.
He tried to sign the 32-year-old last month until the deal was scuppered over the terms of Balde's departure from Celtic Park.
But this has not put off McLeish as he attempts to guide the Blues - who currently sit top of the Championship - back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.
"If he is still available in January, then we could go for him," McLeish told the The People.

Defour sparks transfer rush

Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour wants to quit the Belgian champions and could end up in the Premier League.
The 20-year-old Belgium international has impressed against Everton and Liverpool in European competition this season and has reportedly been watched by Arsenal, Aston Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Blackburn and Sunderland.
Defour admits maybe the time is right to leave Standard in search of a new challenge
"I have achieved what I wanted to achieve with Standard," Defour is quoted as saying.
"Maybe it is best for my career to make an upward step. I feel the time is right for me to move on."

Davis playing for new deal

Portsmouth midfielder Sean Davis wants to put in solid performances on the pitch to earn a new contract with the club.
The 29-year-old, who has less than a year left on his current deal, returned to the Pompey side after suffering a torn groin muscle for the midweek Uefa Cup victory over Guimaraes.
He found it hard against the Portuguese side and was replaced late in the second-half as Pompey went onto win 4-2 on aggregate after extra-time.
But the former Fulham and Spurs player is keen to put that performance behind him - starting on Sunday with the Premier League encounter against Stoke at Fratton Park, where he could replace the suspended Lassana Diarra.

Premier clubs eye Diogo

Premier League scouts are flocking to check on Olympiakos star Diogo.
Chelsea and Liverpool have both requested VIP seats for Sunday's match on Sunday when they face local rivals AEK Athens, while Middlesbrough dispatched a scout to watch the midweek clash with Danish side Nordsjaelland.
Boro had Derek Bragg of The Scouting Network at the game to watch Diogo and Sebastian Leto, currently on loan at the club from Liverpool, for the home side and Martin Bernburg of Nordsjaelland.
Bragg admitted that both Diogo and Leto - who was denied a work-permit to play in England earlier this summer - would both make impacts in England.
"Diogo and Leto are very good players," he told the Greek press.

Rafa warns City off Stevie

Rafa Benitez has warned Manchester City's new owners not bother setting their sights on Steven Gerrard.
With the Abu Dhabi United Group recently completing their takeover of City, the Blues have rocketed to the top of football's rich list.
A record breaking deal for Robinho on transfer deadline day is seen as a sign of things to come, with the Blues expected to once again break the bank when the transfer window re-opens in January.
City's new regime have made it clear that they want to bring big names to Eastlands, with Gerrard just one of the many names to have been mooted.
However, Liverpool insist their talismanic skipper is going nowhere, adamant he can fulfil his ambitions at Anfield.

Grayson cools Windass talk

Blackpool manager Simon Grayson has played down speculation linking his club with a move for Hull City striker Dean Windass.
Windass' future at Hull has been the subject of intense speculation with the veteran failing to establish himself in Phil Brown's side this season.
A number of clubs have been linked with the 39-year-old and Grayson says rumours of interest from Blackpool are mere speculation.
"That's an interesting one, but at this moment I'm not looking to sign anyone," Grayson told the Blackpool Gazette.
"We've got some good players and Windass is speculation, that's all it is."