Friday October 10 2008
Latest Transfer Stories
New deal for Karacan
Midfielder to stay with club until 2011
Reading midfielder Jem Karacan has signed a new contract with the club.
The 19-year-old has come through the ranks at the Madejski Stadium and gained experience during loan spells with Bournemouth and Millwall.
He made his debut for the Royals in their Carling Cup victory over Luton in August and has gone on to establish himself as a key member of Steve Coppell's side.
Karacan's fine form has helped Reading climb into the top three in the Championship and he has now been rewarded with a deal that ties him to the club until 2011.
"It's great to sign this new deal with Reading," he said.
"I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far this season and I'm delighted to be in the team."
Delorge set for exit
Midfielder eyes Amsterdam exit
Laurent Delorge is expected to leave Ajax during the winter break.
The Belgian midfielder, in his second season at Ajax, has recovered from a bad Achilles injury but has had a lack of playing time having featured only four times this season.
"I think that the possibilities to get to play here are limited," Delorge told AT5.
"I will have to look what comes up for me during the winter break. The chance that I will leave is pretty big I think."
At the beginning of the season Delorge was demoted to the reserves by coach Marco Van Basten, which came as a setback.
"I have worked hard to make it to the preparation period, but that appeared to be something too heavy after my Achilles tendon operation.
"But then the decision was already there and you have to accept that."
The 29-year-old's former clubs include Coventry, Anderlecht and ADO Den Haag.
Strong interest in Sampson
Bolton starlet has big options
Manchester United and Manchester City are leading the chase for Bolton starlet Jack Sampson, skysports.com understands.
The 15-year-old striker - who stands over 6ft - is one of the brightest prospects in English football and a host of clubs are battling to land him.
Bolton are obviously keen to keep their home-grown star, but it now seems Sampson is set to depart The Reebok Stadium.
Sampson is not due to leave school until next summer, but his future is set to be decided over the next few weeks.
City have been leading the chase for Sampson and have been monitoring him for more than a year, although they are not the only top-flight club keen to secure his services.
United have also entered the fray and are ready to offer Sampson the chance of a move to Old Trafford and are hopeful of beating their city rivals to the England youth international.
Tottenham and Newcastle are also attempting to land Sampson, who will soon decide on where he will begin his professional career.
Kane returns to Hatters
Blackburn defender agrees Edgeley Park loan
Blackburn defender Tony Kane has joined Stockport on a one-month loan deal.
The Northern Ireland Under 21 international will now go straight into Jim Gannon's squad for the Hatters' League One meeting with Southend on Saturday.
Kane spent a successful loan spell at Edgeley Park in 2006 and will again hope to impress.
Blackburn boss Paul Ince has agreed to the move in order to allow the 21-year-old to build first-team experience.
Kane has struggled to force his way into the plans of Ince and has only featured on the substitutes' bench for two Carling Cup games this season.
Ambrose open to Ipswich switch
Addicks winger keen on possible return to Portman Road
Darren Ambrose admits he would welcome the opportunity to return to his roots at Ipswich.
The winger is currently on the books of Charlton, but his contract at The Valley is due to expire next summer and discussions regarding an extension have not been forthcoming.
He will be allowed to begin talking to other clubs in January should the Addicks decide against offering a new deal, with Ipswich expected to be one of the sides in the frame.
Jim Magilton has made no secret of his admiration for Ambrose and has previously looked at the possibility of taking the 24-year-old on loan.
Ambrose said in the Green'Un: "It is difficult for me as I've never been in this position with one year left on my contract.
"I'm just looking to go into this year and perform better than I have done over the past few years.
"It is flattering that a man like Jim would say that about me. I have played with him so he knows what kind of player I am.
"Anything can happen in the future but for the moment I'm focused on Charlton and hoping we can do well and we will see."
Ambrose accepts that the main factor behind Charlton's reluctance to offer him a contract has been his recent injury problems.
A long-standing hip problem has seen him sidelined on numerous occasions, although that issue has now been resolved by surgery.
"It was playing on my mind. When I went into the op it was worse than they first thought, but they were able to clear it all up," he added.
"Everyone wants to be playing and I missed the first seven games of this season and a few last year but now I'm looking forward to the rest of the season."
Ambrose began his professional career with Ipswich after joining the club's academy system as a youngster.
He enjoyed 18 months of first-team action at Portman Road before being snapped up by Newcastle in 2003.
However, he failed to make a consistent impact on Tyneside and moved on to Charlton two years later.
Podolski unsure on future
Striker hoping for regular role
Lukas Podolski has admitted he will probably not make a decision on his future with Bayern Munich until January.
Podolski has had limited opportunities to impress so far this season with Jurgen Klinsmann preferring Luca Toni and Miroslav Klose up front.
The striker has made it clear that he would like to play more regularly but his attitude has not impressed chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
Rumminegge said: "I do not understand what he wants. I demand that he is committed to Bayern and does everything he can to help the club.
"He has a contract until June 2010 - he should focus on that."
Podolski accepts that Rummenigge is entitled to voice his opinion but has stopped short of committing his future to the club.
The 23-year-old, who has been linked with a number of top clubs across Europe, feels he is in a tricky position.
"Mr Rummenigge has the right to criticise his players," he told Bild.
"I can only say that I am fully focused on Bayern. It is a difficult situation for me, but I am clear about that.
"Sure, I would like to play from the start sometimes. At the moment, I am not concerning myself with anything else.
"I don't think I will make a decision until the winter."
Podolski is currently away on international duty for Germany and he is looking forward to playing from the start against Russia on Saturday.
He explained: "It does me good to free myself."
"When you play the full 90 minutes, you automatically play in a different way.
"(Germany coach) Jogi Low is convinced of my qualities - just like me. We both know what I can do."
Blues on brink of Quashie deal
Birmingham confident of bringing in veteran midfielder
Birmingham hope to have secured a loan move for Nigel Quashie in time for their next Championship fixture against Burnley on 18th October.
The Blues have been tracking the West Ham midfielder for some time and are closing in on their target.
A one-month agreement has been proposed, with an option to extend that deal should both sides wish to do so.
Quashie has been training with Birmingham of late, featuring in two reserve friendlies and a practice match, and Alex McLeish is confident about bringing the experienced enforcer on board.
"We would hope to tie Nigel up on a month's deal with a view to extending that, if he proves his fitness," McLeish told the Birmingham Mail.
"Probably before Burnley we will get it done. With the amount of games coming after that, he would be a welcome addition. He has trained hard for a month but his circumstances have been unfortunate as he lost his mother.
"So in between us keeping him and getting him fit, getting him to prove he is over his injuries because there is a tendency to come back and pick up niggles, it's been stop-start due to his mother being ill and her death.
"He's got things to tend there before he can immerse himself right back into it again and we are very sympathetic to his needs at the moment."
McLeish has made no secret of his desire to bring in fresh faces as the Blues look to bounce back into the Premier League at the first time of asking.
One of those currently in the frame to arrive at St Andrews is Togolese trialist Souleymane Mamam.
The former Manchester United trainee is out of contract after leaving Royal Antwerp over the summer and has impressed during two reserve run-outs.
The African is also waiting on a Belgian passport which would help avoid the need for international clearance before he could secure a move to England.
McLeish said: "He's been with us a while and he's still training with us.
"We've a game next week (a reserve fixture against Manchester City) and we'll make a decision after that. We have been impressed with his touch. He's a clever player.
"I'm not sure how dynamic he can be, but he can take a touch with his back to play, he can take the ball.
"He looks athletic enough to get out from the midfield, like (Sebastian) Larsson and (Kemy) Agustien are able to do."