Saturday 11-10-08,

Latest Transfer Stories

Mowbray - Hands off Gianni

But Baggies' boss does acknowledge 'there is always a balance' for the club

West Bromwich Albion boss Tony Mowbray has warned clubs off Dutch defender Gianni Zuiverloon.

The youngster's sparkling performances since joining the Baggies have reportedly attracted interest from big Premier League clubs.

Mowbray insists the 21-year-old, who was signed from Heerenveen in the summer, is very much in his plans, but the boss does acknowledge 'there is always a balance' for the club.

He told the Express & Star: "We have one or two players that other clubs do covet and occasionally ask me about, but selling is not the plan.

"The plan is to try to build a team, not to bring them in and sell them off quickly.

"That said there is always a balance for us and I have said that to the players."

Mowbray believes the speculation will not unsettle his young player and he would like to keep him for the foreseeable future.

"As long as it doesn't adversely affect him it's not a problem," he said.

"Hopefully he hasn't seen it and is not reading it because he is a foreign player, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't rush out every morning to buy a red label newspaper.

"I'm pretty sure he won't see them unless they are on the dinner table with the other players.

No signs

"He has shown no signs at all of having an attitude that's going to be a problem even if the speculation continues.

"I hope he realises he is a young player and we have given him an opportunity to come and play in the Premier League.

"Hopefully he will continue to get on with his job and enjoy the environment that we are creating so his talent ultimately will take his career wherever it's meant to be, which I always say to players.

"We're not going to put him under lock and key but we have brought him here and we have no thoughts of being anywhere except here for a few years, helping our club progress.

"What is the point of bringing a player in and then selling him in a year unless he is one that can't get a game?

"Why would you buy a player and sell him for a bit of profit when you're trying to build a team?"

Bantams aim to keep Furman

Gers youngster could stay at Valley Parade until next May

Bradford City boss Stuart McCall is keen to extend Dean Furman's loan until the end of the season.

Furman is currently on loan at Valley Parade from Rangers until early January and has made seven appearances for the League Two club.

He has impressed in recent matches and McCall is hoping Rangers will allow the midfielder to see out the season with Bradford.

"We'll see how Dean goes, but we would look to lengthen his stay if he does well for us," McCall told the Telegraph & Argus.
More to come

"It's early days yet, but he's enjoying himself here. I know he had settled in well prior to getting in the first team.

"I'm pleased with what Dean's done and I still believe there's more to come from him. His game has got a bit of everything.

"He's got good energy to get around the pitch, can put his foot in, has real ability and can finish with both feet. That's the sort of all-round play that I like in midfield."

Pulis has plans for Shawcross

Stoke defender won't be sent out on loan after Derby show interest

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis has reiterated that Ryan Shawcross will not be loaned out following interest from Derby County.

Shawcross has started just one game in the Premier League this season since playing a key role in Stoke's promotion to the top flight.

Championship side Derby have expressed an interest in the former Manchester United youngster as Paul Jewell looks to improve his defensive options.

However, Pulis has reassured Shawcross that he is part of his plans at the Britannia Stadium and he has no plans to send the 21-year-old out on loan.
Tough competition

"Ryan has been part of this club and part of this team and I still think the world of him," Pulis told The Sentinel.

"He's going to be a top, top player, but that doesn't always mean you're in the team every week.

"You look at all top players who've now made it and you can bet they've had periods during their career when they've had to fight for their place.

"This is the Premier League and there should be tough competition for places, hopefully in all areas of the team.

"I haven't forgotten what Ryan did last season - and I certainly haven't overlooked what he can do for us in the future.

"With us still being in the Carling Cup, it's obviously important we keep players, so we have the right numbers at our disposal."

Hleb wants Cesc at Barca

Midfielder keen to be reunited with former Arsenal team-mate

Alexander Hleb admits he is badgering former Arsenal team-mate Cesc Fabregas to join him at Barcelona.

Belarus midfielder Hleb quit the Gunners in the summer to move to Camp Nou and wants to play alongside Fabregas again.

Fabregas, who left Barcelona for Arsenal in 2003, admitted earlier this week that a return to the club would be 'a dream come true'.

The Spain international plans to review his future at the end of the season and Hleb hopes Fabregas will come back to Barcelona.
Like a brother

"We get on very well on and off the pitch. For me he is like a brother. We call each other a lot to talk about things," Hleb told El Mundo Deportivo.

"He tells me he misses me at Arsenal and, without wanting to detract from anyone, I would love it if he came to Barca to be a part of all this.

"I don't stop insisting that he should return to Barca and he doesn't stop insisting that he is very happy at Arsenal and with Arsene Wenger.

"I will keep boring him until he changes his mind. If in the end he listens to me, I think it would be great for Barcelona."

Zola hopeful of Tristan deal

Financial problems no hurdle for Hammers boss

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola is confident he can defy the credit crunch to bring out-of-favour Spanish striker Diego Tristan to Upton Park.

Tristan failed to make a mark at Italian club Livorno after joining from Real Mallorca last summer, and the new Hammers manager insists the club are keen to bring the 32-year-old to East London.

Zola has reportedly been told he can only bring in new players if he sells other squad members first after Hammers owner Bjogolfor Gudmundsson lost a reported 230million following the collapse of Icelandic bank Landisbank.

Free agent Tristan arrived at Upton Park at the end of September and Zola has extended the former Spanish international talisman's trial to get a closer look at the experienced forward.

Tristan scored 78 goals in 177 games for Depotivo La Coruna from 2000-2006 but scored just once in his 21 appearances for Livorno last season and is now looking for a new club following his release.

Zola said: "Diego's working very hard and we're pleased with him.

"He could be a good alternative. He's got a lot of experience and skills.

"He can do well as long as he gets fit."

Zola is looking to bolster his attacking options with West Ham hitman Dean Ashton set to be out until at least the New Year with an ankle injury.

Bruce hopes for Zaki deal

Wigan boss confident of securing permanent deal for striker

Steve Bruce is confident that Wigan can seal a permanent deal for striker Amr Zaki despite his impressive start in the Premier League attracting the attention of other clubs.

The Latics boss secured a season-long loan for Zaki from Egyptian side El Zamalek and the 25-year-old immediately made an impact at the JJB Stadium.

Zaki has scored five league goals since joining Wigan and also netted in their Carling Cup win over Notts County in August.
Pole position

But Bruce is hopeful that a deal can be done to keep the Egyptian at Wigan and see him continue to make an impact in the Premier League.

"There is an agreement in principle with his club," Bruce told the Daily Star. "There is a lot of the season to go, so there is no rush.

"Zaki is ours at the moment, so let's enjoy it while we can. We will try to set up a deal when the time is right.

"We're in pole position to sign the lad because he's here at the moment.

"It's a double-edged sword - the better he does here, the more expensive he will be."

Bruce also revealed that he did not expect Zaki to adapt to Premier League life so quickly, but is in no doubt that he will continue to improve.

"I've got to say Zaki has started better than we thought he would," added Bruce.

"We brought him here because we thought he could make an impact and we're delighted because he's certainly done that.

"There's a long way to go yet, a long winter ahead. Hopefully he'll continue how he has been doing."