Monday October 13 2008

Latest Transfer Stories


Cannavaro plans Real stay

Cannavaro: Going nowhere

Fabio Cannavaro has rejected reports linking him with a move away from Real Madrid.

Reports have suggested Cannavaro could return to former club Napoli to end his illustrious career.

However, the Italy World Cup winning captain insists he is happy at Real and would be interested in extending his contract with the Spanish titans.

"I want to renew my contract with Real Madrid. I'm very settled and I expect to talk to the club to resolve everything before the end of the year," Cannavaro told AS.

"I don't want to leave because I am happy here and my family is enjoying life in Madrid.

"I want to win the Champions League with this team and only then could I leave calmly."

Bolton handed keeper warning

Ali Al Habsi's agent has warned Bolton that the keeper could leave the club if they do not offer him a new deal.

The Oman international came close to a move away from Bolton in the summer after growing increasingly frustrated at his lack of first team opportunities.

The 26-year-old's current contract expires in the summer and he could leave the club for nothing.

Al Habsi's representative, Peter Harrison is surprised why Bolton have not offered the custodian a new deal and claims a number of clubs are waiting in the wings to sign him.

"Ali is in the last year of his contract and they haven't offered him anything," said Harrison.

"Several clubs in the Premier League are very interested in signing him.

"I don't know why Bolton haven't offered him a contract, maybe you have to ask the manager, Gary Megson, or the chairman.

"It's strange that Andy O'Brien and Kevin Davies have had extensions when Ali hasn't been offered anything. Obviously they don't want to keep him."

Gomez denies Bayern agreement

Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez has rubbished speculation that he has signed a pre-contract agreement with Bayern Munich.

The 23-year-old has been repeatedly linked with the Bundesliga champions, while Stuttgart rejected a summer transfer deadline day bid from Manchester City.

Germany international Gomez, though, has denied recent rumours that he has already put pen-to-paper at Allianz Arena, where manager Jurgen Klinsmann is eager to bolster his attacking options after a disappointing start to the season.

"That is definitely false," Gomez told Spiegel Online when asked about a pre-contract agreement.

However, Gomez - who has scored six goals in 18 games for Germany - has refused to rule out a move to Bayern in the future.

"It is clear that that (a switch to Bayern) could be an option for the future," he said.

But for now, Gomez, who is under contract with Stuttgart until 2012, is happy with his present side and will not actively look to leave.

"If Stuttgart continue to use their veto against a transfer next summer, then I'll accept that," he continued.

"For me it is very important that everything fits and it does here at Stuttgart, they like me here."

Henry - City reports must stop

Henry: City reports

Barcelona forward Thierry Henry has called for an end to the speculation linking him with a transfer to Manchester City.

Henry has struggled to replicate his previous Arsenal best at Camp Nou since he joining the Spanish giants in 2007, leading to claims that he could depart the club.

City have been mooted as potential suitors for the France international, with Sunday's press suggesting the Eastlands outfit - backed by the Abu Dhabi United Group's financial muscle - could make an offer in January.

However, Henry has reiterated that he is content at Barca and demanded that the rumours surrounding his future cease once and for all.

"One thing's for sure, the Manchester City thing and all the things you're talking about need to stop," he told France Football.

"I've played three matches in the league and I've scored twice. So there you go. I missed two (games) because I was ill.

"(Lionel) Messi has been on the bench twice, (Samuel) Eto'o has been on the bench twice, (Dani) Alves hasn't been in the side recently. The coach rotates players, but you don't stop (talking) when it's my turn. Talk about everyone!

"When (Carles) Puyol doesn't play against Betis, when Alves isn't in the group, when Messi doesn't play against Santander, when Sam doesn't play against Espanyol. If you're going to talk, talk about everyone."

Milan rule out Kaka sale

Kaka: Not for sale

AC Milan insist brilliant Brazil international Kaka is not for sale - at any price.

Reports in Sunday's newspapers suggested Manchester City were planning a big-money move for the gifted playmaker.

But Milan sporting director Umberto Gandini has told Sky Sports News' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson that Kaka "won't be sold at all" and will remain at the club at least until his current contract expires in 2013.

Kaka is in Venezuela with the Brazil squad and, according to Swanson, knows nothing about recent speculation linking him with Eastlands.

However, it is understood Kaka is an admirer of the Premier League and has been thinking about playing for a top English club at some point in his career.

Real remain keen on Ronaldo

Ronaldo: Never-ending saga

Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster believes Cristiano Ronaldo could join the Spanish giants next year.

Madrid made the Manchester United ace their top target over the summer in a saga which dragged on and on throughout the transfer window.

The Portugal international eventually rejected Real's advances and elected to remain with the Premier League and European champions.

But despite that snub Schuster still believes a deal could be struck in 2009 for a player he feels should win the Ballon d'Or this year.

"I think that next year it is going to be a little more complicated for his club to retain him. There is hope that next year he could be with us," Schuster told Marca.
Worth it

"You need to do everything possible (to sign Ronaldo) because this player is worth it. Since the start I thought it was possible although difficult. Possible because the player really showed an interest.

"His class, his position on the right wing and in other areas of the pitch, his work in attack... he would have been an important signing. He didn't come, but this is the team we have here now and we need to have complete faith in them."

Schuster believes that Ronaldo's stunning form last season should lead to him being named European footballer of the year - even though his own goalkeeper at Real, Iker Casillas, is also in the running to win the title.

"I think that this year Cristiano Ronaldo deserves it. He was the leading scorer in Europe with 42 goals, has won the league and UEFA Champions League...that should be sufficient," Schuster added.

"He didn't do so well with the national team (at Euro 2008), but this was due to Spain and Germany.

"It's easy to say that Spaniards Iker and Xavi (should win it), but if you take into account the overall season you see that Cristiano is the one."

Hughes confident over new faces

Mark Hughes is confident he can still lure the biggest stars in football to Manchester City, despite not being able to offer UEFA Champions League football.

Hughes is expected to spend big in the January transfer window with the financial muscle of new owners the Abu Dhabi United Group at his disposal.

City broke the British transfer record to bring Brazil international Robinho to Eastlands from Real Madrid on 1st September, and further high-profile names are expected to follow.

While many of the game's leading players are eager to feature in Europe's leading club competition, City can currently only offer Uefa Cup football.

But Hughes feels their lofty ambitions for the future, coupled with the wages they are now able to pay, will aid their quest for talent.
Attractive proposition

He told the Sunday Mirror: "We haven't got the lure of Champions League football to help us when we are negotiating for players, but there are other benefits for coming to Manchester City.

"We feel we can offer big-name players something that little bit different - although obviously the aim is that we eventually have a team playing in the Champions League.

"Whether that is money or just a different challenge I don't know.

"But we are now in a position where Manchester City are a very attractive proposition to top players, even if we're not yet in the Champions League.

"The arrival of Robinho was a signal of intent that there is now another major player in town. I am sure that there will be top players out there who are at different stages of their career who will now look at Manchester City as a viable option."