Tuesday October 14 2008

Latest Transfer Stories

Santa Cruz in City hint
Striker flattered to be linked with rivals

Blackburn Rovers striker Roque Santa Cruz has revealed he would be interested in joining Manchester City and playing alongside Robinho.

Santa Cruz has been linked with City for some time with Eastlands chief Mark Hughes keen to be reunited with the striker following their success together at Ewood Park.

City had a bid turned down for Santa Cruz last summer and reports suggest they could rekindle their interest in the Paraguay international when the transfer window reopens in January.

Santa Cruz is flattered by City's interest and has hinted he would be interested in linking up with the ambitious cash-rich outfit.

"Manchester City is a team that has a very important financial support that is getting prepared for winning the title," Santa Cruz told radio station Primero de Marzo.

"I am very happy at Blackburn but I like the idea of playing for a team that will be fighting for important objectives.

"I will keep on doing what I do at Blackburn but if the coach of Manchester City is interested in me I would like to join Robinho in that team. He is a wonderful player and I would like to play next to him."

Blackburn would be loath to sell their most prized-asset after tying him down to a new four-year deal in August.

Toure to 'wait and see'
Barca midfielder coy over transfer rumours

Yaya Toure has told skysports.com he is prepared to bide his time at Barcelona, despite rumours linking him with a move away from Camp Nou.

The Ivory Coast international has struggled for a regular berth in Pep Guardiola's midfield this season, and has started just two of the club's six Primera Liga games.

Toure has previously been linked with the likes of Arsenal, where his brother Kolo currently plays, while Juventus have emerged as potential suitors for his services.

The 25-year-old admits he is flattered by the latest rumours, but is prepared to wait for his opportunity with the Spanish giants before contemplating an exit.

He told skysports.com: "It is good to know there are big clubs interested in me. It is known that I have not played a lot for Barcelona so far this season.

"The coach rotates the midfield, and I am waiting for my chance. There are still plenty of games to play.

"The club is doing well, so we shall wait and see. I don't know (about moving to another club). You never know.

"I will take my chance at Barca when handed it. I love Barcelona. It is the biggest club, but there are others as well."

Pair on Robins trial
Trialists set to feature for reserves against Swindon on Tuesday

Leeds United winger Ian Westlake and Leicester City midfielder Johnny Hayes are currently on trial with Cheltenham Town.

The pair are set to play for the League One outfit's reserves at Swindon Town on Tuesday night.

Hayes is trialing after failing to make a first-team appearance under Leicester boss Nigel Pearson this term, while Westlake has also not played for the Whites.

Hayes's trial comes as another Foxes player - Barry Hayles - has moved the other way after his loan spell ended with the Robins.

Hayles enjoyed a successful stay at Whaddon Road, netting three times, including the winner in the fantastic 4-3 comeback victory over Colchester on Saturday.

The Robins' reserve team will also include loan players Lewis Montrose and Josh Payne, as well as transfer-listed trio Craig Armstrong, Andy Lindegaard and Lee Ridley.

Tigers issue hands-off warning
Tigers' players becoming coveted after fantastic start to campaign

Hull City chairman Paul Duffen has vowed to do his best to keep hold of the club's players in the January transfer window.

The club's fantastic start to the campaign means their players could now become targets when the window reopens in the New Year.

Defender Michael Turner is thought to be attracting attention, while Brazilian ace Geovanni, who signed on a free for the Tigers in the summer, is now reported to be worth 8million.

But Duffen insists the Tigers - who next take on West Ham at the KC Stadium on Sunday - want to keep hold of their assets as they seek to build on their great start to the season.

He told the Hull Daily Mail: "We are now playing football in the most high-profile and competitive league in the world, so therefore, it is expected that other clubs will be looking at our players.

"But I will state now that I don't envisage losing any player come January. We will do our best to keep all of our players.

"If a player did leave the club then so be it, it's part of the circle of life in football. The club is bigger than any player."

Hammers to deal in Tristan
Spaniard to sign deal until the end of the season

West Ham are poised to sign Diego Tristan after he impressed on trial.

As exclusively revealed by skysports.com last month the former Spain international has been training with West Ham for the last few weeks as he looks for a new club.

Tristan is a free agent after being released by Livorno at the end of last season and he is keen on trying his luck in England.

The former Deportivo La Coruna striker is believed to have done enough to impress Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola, who is in the market for attacking reinforcements after losing Dean Ashton to injury.

West Ham are ready to offer Tristan a deal until the end of the season and he will become Zola's first signing since he took charge at Upton Park.

Osvaldo hints at Viola exit
Striker admits his morale has suffered by not playing

Fiorentina striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo has revealed he will consider a move in the next transfer window if he does not get more opportunities with the side.

The 22-year-old has made just one start and two substitute appearances in Serie A this term, as well as one start and one appearance from the bench in the UEFA Champions League.

While he would be sad to leave, Osvaldo admits he will do so in order to get first-team football and will consider the situation in December.

He told Corriere dello Sport: "I'm 22 and I need to play.

"Sure I would be really sad to leave Fiorentina, but should this situation continue, there is the possibility I will go elsewhere, maybe on loan."

He added his morale has suffered, saying he "expected a little more consideration after what I did last season".