Thursday October 16 2008

Latest Transfer Stories

Forest tracking Fletcher
Palace midfielder set for loan spell at the City Ground

Nottingham Forest are set to sign Carl Fletcher on a six-week loan deal from Crystal Palace.

The Wales international is yet to arrive back in England following his international exploits for Wales in Germany on Wednesday, where he featured in a 1-0 defeat for John Toshack's side.

However, once back at Palace it is believed the formalities of the deal will be pushed through in time for the 28-year-old to make his Forest debut against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Fletcher has Premier League experience picked up during a two-year stint at West Ham, a spell which also included an FA Cup final appearance, before he was sold to Palace in the summer of 2006.

He enjoyed two seasons of regular first team football at Selhurst Park before falling out of favour under Neil Warnock and being place on the transfer list in August.

Should his move to the City Ground go through as expected, Fletcher will join up with his international team-mate Robert Earnshaw.

The striker joined the Reds from Derby over the summer and feels another Welshman would be a fine addition to Colin Calderwood's squad.

"Carl's a good player and he's a good guy as well," Earnshaw told the club's official website.

"The one thing you always get from him is he will work himself into the ground, but he can pass a ball as well.

"He'll be good to have around the place. He'll boss people around - tell people what to do with his experience.

"He's not shy with a tackle and if he's got to put his foot in you can guarantee he won't pull out. He'll be a good recruit for us."

Calderwood is keen to get new faces on board after seeing Forest slip to the foot of the Championship table on the back of seven defeats in their opening 10 fixtures.

United trial Serb starlet
Partizan confirm Ljajic stint

Partizan Belgrade have confirmed that starlet Adem Ljajic is undergoing a trial at Manchester United.

The 17-year-old has caught the eye of a number of clubs in recent months and he shone during the recent Uefa European Under-19 Championship Qualifying round which was held in Northern Ireland.

The home side took on England, Albania and Ljajic's Serbia in their group - with all games being played over six days in Newry.

England progressed to the Elite Phase, but it was Ljajic's Serbia who shone with a perfect record, conceding just twice and scoring 12 times in their three games.

United were amongst the clubs watching in Northern Ireland and they have taken advantage of the fact that the youngster is already in Britain by getting him to Carrington for a trial spell.
Partizan agreement

Partizan confirmed they had agreed to the trial - dispelling claims that United had merely coaxed Ljajic into training with them.

"It is not true that Ljajic went to England without permission," the club's general secretary Darko Gubor told Nogomet.

"We have been in contact with Manchester United for some time now and Ljajic was with the international team in Britain at this moment so it was handy for him to go on trial now.

"We want to co-operate with Manchester United and this is only the first step.

"I repeat Ljajic went to Manchester with Partizan's permission and all I can say regarding his potential move to United is that he is still a very young player who is at the beginning of his career."

United are no strangers to scouting Partizan and were previously keen on Stevan Jovetic - who departed for Fiorentina in the summer.

Szczesny hopes for loan
Teenage keeper seeks new challenge

Arsenal youngster Wojciech Szczesny admits he needs to go out on loan to gain first team experience.

The 18-year-old keeper signed professional terms with the Gunners at the start of last season, but remains a long way down the pecking order at Emirates Stadium.

He does have international experience as a member of Poland's youth team and has impressed the Arsenal academy coaching staff.

He made 23 appearances for the club's U18 side last term, while he also turned out for a European U18 side in the 2007 Meridian Cup against African counterparts.

Szczesny has played first team football in the past, making his senior debut for former club Legia Warsaw at just 15-years-old, while he was handed the No. 1 jersey for Arsenal's pre-season fixture at Barnet this year.

However, he believes a spell away from the Gunners will help his development and allow him to return to North London as a better player.

"I would expect that for at least six months I will end up being loaned out," he told Gazeta Wyborcza.

"It's necessary for me because it is rare that a keeper goes straight into the first team from the reserves.

"I need to go out and feel under pressure to win."

Hammers reject Behrami link
Swiss star staying put; no bid for Argentine

West Ham's technical director Gianluca Nani has denied that the club are gearing up to sell Valon Behrami in January.

The Swiss international only arrived at Upton Park in the summer from Lazio, but now their city rivals Roma are being linked with a move.

Behrami's agent has claimed that contact has been made, but Nani has insisted that the club have no intentions to sell - despite off the field concerns of owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.

"I am tired of responding to questions on Behrami," Nani stated.

"I repeat - Behrami is not for sale and Roma have never asked for the player.

"Before you start any kind of transfer, Rome must speak with West Ham, which has not happened. Behrami is our player, we have high hopes for him so I see no reason to sell.

"Even if an offer arrived from Rome for 50million (39million) we would not sell. It is not a matter of numbers but of will on our part to keep the player."
Osvaldo denial

Nani also distanced the club from a bid for Fiorentina star Pablo Daniel Osvaldo.

The 22-year-old Argentine has been linked with a move to East London and although Nani admits he is a 'great striker', he insists that no move is planned.

"We do not want a team that is too 'Italian'," Nani told Viola News.

"Our plan is to build players at home, taken when they are still young.

"Osvaldo is a great striker but is already an important player and falls outside the type of player we are looking for - because we are covered in that role."

Boli set for loan
Young striker heading to Le Havre

French starlet Yannick Boli is heading to Le Havre on loan.

Boli, nephew of former stars Basile and Roger Boli, is currently with Paris Saint Germain.

The 20-year-old, who was the subject of a bid from Real Madrid in the summer, is to continue his footballing education on the Northern Coast.

Boli is represented by his uncle Roger, who confirmed to the deal was going through.

"There is an agreement for a loan for the player,"

Soley hoping for Canaries deal
Gambia captain speaks exclusively to me

Gambia international Seyfo Soley is hoping he can earn a contract with Norwich City.

The 28-year-old left Preston at the end of last season and has trained with Stoke and Motherwell in recent months.

He is now looking to impress Glenn Roeder and earn a move to Carrow Road, where he arrived earlier this month.

"I am very proud to be on trial at Norwich City," the Gambia captain told

"Hopefully I will convince them to give me a contract, and with the help of God and my talent it should not be a problem.

"I am experienced enough."

Soley was speaking after helping Gambia claim a draw against Senegal, which saw their opponents eliminated from World Cup contention.

"To eliminate the Senegalese was a great day for our football but now I have to concentrate on my game and sign for a club like Norwich, who are very ambitious," he continued.